News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Another Case For The Church Detectives

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

From the late Tony Colson's collection :beer: , dedication of a monument for the 192nd Saxon Infantry Division's 1914-1918 war dead. Honor guard of Reichsheer soldiers. I assume the overcoated speaker is probably a Commander of the Order of Saint Henry:

This undated (naturally) uncaptioned (of course) photograph was taken before the 1926 uniforms change that gave officers silver bullion cap cords in place of the "enlisted" leather ones used by all ranks until then.

Guest Rick Research

Somewhere in the former kingdom of Saxony? :unsure:

Uh, if that is not Barad-d?r ...

Sure is one gigantic UGLY pile!!!! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

?

This is the monument for the saxon 192nd Infantry-Division. The "Ugly pile" is the garrison-church in the albertstadt in Dresden (Today Dresden-Neustadt). Because it was used for the two confessions - katholic and protestant- that?s why it was built in an roman and gothic style and looks so strange. The monument itself did not exist today. I have a brochure from the "Arbeitskreis S?chsische Milit?rgeschichte" about the military monuments in Dresden. The monument is mentioned there. Will take a look inside at the evening.

PS: The Officer in Greatcoat looks a little bit like Alfred M?ller, Kdr. of the 4th Infantry-division of the reichswehr.

Gru? Stefan

Edited by IR 134

Guest Rick Research

Thanks Stefan! :cheers:

M?ller died 29 October 1925, so that helps with dating this as well. A portrait of him from my collection:

So, taked a look in the brochure. The opening ceremony for the monument the picture shows was on 24th october 1924.

It was removed after 1945 but nothing specific is known about that. The inscription on the left side with the iron cross under it is:

"IHR WARET TREU

BIS IN DEN TOD"

Gru? Stefan