News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1936 Olympic games decorations

Thanks Paul! It was a lucky pickup alright! I recall the fellow I bought it from thought it MAY have been an SS long service ribbon, but I have strong doubts as to the validity of this!! Either way its still a nice one.

Cheers Jason

Edited by Jason

• Replies 116
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And my 1957 1st Class Cross ( which i still need to get the ribbon for ) :

Personally i think this is one award that has improved with de nazification , i thought the original eagles on the olympic crosses were awful !

Edited by Grant Broadhurst

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any verifiable source information about which grade of the Olympia-Ehrenzeichen was awarded to Goering, Himmler and Sepp Dietrich? I assume they all received the 1. Stufe, but I can't find anything in references or biographies.

Also, does anyone have any verifiable information about known German recipients of the 2. Stufe of the Olympia-Ehrenzieichen?

Thanks in advance!

James

Guest WAR LORD

the Olympia-Ehrenzeichen 1. Stufe,was awarded to Goering and Himmler, photos exist of Goerings awards and one shows Himmler wearing the 1 st class as to Sepp Dietrich I have no information. But I am cofident that there is a "man who can" tell you on the forum.

the Olympia-Ehrenzeichen 1. Stufe,was awarded to Goering and Himmler, photos exist of Goerings awards and one shows Himmler wearing the 1 st class as to Sepp Dietrich I have no information. But I am cofident that there is a "man who can" tell you on the forum.

Thanks Warlord

I did find a very blurry picture of Goering in late 1936 wearing what looked like the 1. Stufe but it might have been something else. Good to have the confirmation. Still haven't been able to find out any more about Dietrich thought.

James

• 2 months later...

I am sure I remember seeing a photo of Himmler wearing the 1st Class anyone confirm if he got one ?

Hi Nick,

I remembered seeing this a few months ago and actually found your answer. Had wanted to wait until I got a scanner but as that may still be awhile in coming I felt I'd better pop this on. Was hoping perhaps either you have a copy of the book in question or surely one of the other members who might be able to scan the photo. :rolleyes:

It's in Jack Angolia's For Fuhrer and Fatherland Political & Civil Awards of the Third Reich, updated Second Edition, second printing May 1989.

There is a picture on pages 2 & 3 of Hitler and members of his diplomatic entourage in Italy, May 1938. On the part of the picture on page 3 to the far right is Himmler in full SS uniform wearing the Olympic Decoration 1st Class. It's unmistakeable! :D

Hope this helps. :cheers:

Dan

Well spotted, Dan. :cheers:

Hi John,

Glad I could help out on this one. :D I know how frustrating :banger: it can be trying to find something when you know you've seen it but can't remember where. I had tried not too long ago to find a picture I "know" I'd seen of Himmler's medal bar both in and out of it's presentation case. Funny enough when I went back and pulled out FF&F for this tonight I just happened to open to the page where the Himmler bar photos was! So killed two birds with one stone! :jumping::D

Many thanks for making and posting the scan. :cheers: Couldn't have done it without you! :cheers: And of course Jack Angolia... thanks Jack! :cheers:

Dan

Hi all,

Again I hope this isn't off topic... if so I hope the powers that be will be able to move it where it would be more at home... but seemed like as good a place as any.

I've already posted my 1957 reissue 1st Class Olympic Decoration in the 57/postwar German section. But although they're not awards per se I wanted to post some of my other 1936 Olympic pieces. I got them from my dad and they are definitely some of my most prized possessions. I'd always had an interest in these games and the olympics in general. And having these definitely brings it all home to me.

First up is the torch holder:

IPB Image

This is a beautiful piece made by Krupp... it's made of a special alloy they developed for the occassion. I must say it's held up rather well over the years. They definitely did something right. :cheers:

It has an Olympic version of the German eagle on the handle as well as the route taken by the runners from Greece to Berlin.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Next up is one of the souvenir bells they made for the occassion and sold during the games:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

It's a bit dusty... I'll have to clean it up and make a new set of pics at some point but just wanted to get these up.

And last but not least for now is one of the souvenir silver ash trays also sold during the games:

IPB Image

And on the bottom are what I presure are the silver marks:

IPB Image

I've also got the two volume cigarette card albums on the games along with several other books and other memorabilia I've added to the collection over the years... but these pieces, especially the torch holder :love::love: are by far the best part of my Olympic collection.

Thanks for looking, :cheers:

Dan

Edited by Hauptman

Dan,

Thank you for sharing those interesting pieces! I have never seen the bells before. I bet that there are not too many around anymore!!!

Very nice items. Funnily enough, you see the bells fairly often, they're quite collectable in themselves as I believe they were made by Allach.

Cheers

Don

Dan,

Thank you for sharing those interesting pieces! I have never seen the bells before. I bet that there are not too many around anymore!!!

Hi Paul,

You're all quite welcome. :D I think we're all the same when it comes to wanting to show off a bit... it seems to be a big part of collecting. I always tell folks something changed in me during my first session of show and tell in kindergarten and I haven't been the same since. :lol: And I thank God for a club like this where we can do just that as well as seeing all the goodies the other "kids" bring in. This is like the ultimate show and tell. :jumping::love:

I actually used to see them quite often when I was actively in TR but then I got into so many other things and I fell off that radar for a long time. I'm sure many have gotten broken over time. Mine has a few little imperfections but hey, if I look that good at that age I'll be a very happy camper! :lol:

They're definitely nice pieces.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Very nice items. Funnily enough, you see the bells fairly often, they're quite collectable in themselves as I believe they were made by Allach.

Cheers

Don

Hi Don,

Thanks for stopping in to take a gander at the old girl. She is a beaut... a bit on the dusty side... now I wish I'd prettied her up. I'll probably have to do that and redo the pics so she'll be a nice and perty! :D

And I think you're right on them being Allach although I'm not going to say I'm positive. Perhaps one of the other members could confirm if this is correct. I've seen a few Allach pieces at Jack Angolia's and this does have that same beautiful white color that you can lose yourself in. :love: It's beautiful stuff for sure.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Tickets! Who needs tickets?

Here's one I picked up for soccer. Apparently there was a rukus at this particular game, which involved an excited fan from Venezuala (?) firing off a pistol in the stands, resulting in a cancellation and a rematch.

Edited by Gold Party Pin Guy

Tickets! Who needs tickets?

Here's one I picked up for soccer. Apparently there was a rukus at this particular game, which involved an excited fan from Venezuala (?) firing off a pistol in the stands, resulting in a cancellation and a rematch.

Hi Stephen,

Wow! Terrific piece! :jumping::love: Hey, that would look great with my torch holder... :rolleyes: Seriously though great find! And the story that goes with it is "just the ticket"! :lol:

Hey, assuming with that nick that you're into GPB's? I just put mine in over in TR civil awards under My Golden Party Badge if you'd care to take a peek. Hoping perhaps you might be able to add to what the others have discovered so far. :rolleyes:

Gotta run but very much enjoyed seeing this piece. Thanks for sharing! Keep em coming folks! :cheers:

Dan

• 2 weeks later...