News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1936 Olympic games decorations

• Replies 116
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, unquestionable bar! It is definately a keeper!

Now Paul... you just had to go and tell him about the keeper part didn't you? :cheeky: And here I was gonna tell him to put it in a packet and mail it over here because it was something he "shouldn't" keep. :rolleyes::lol:

But yes indeed, a very nice bar that "I wish I had"... so if you ever decide it's "not a keeper"... :rolleyes:

Dan :cheers:

By the way. Dr. Robert Ley also got the first class. during my research for the awardlist of Mr. Ley I found this photo in my archive. Nobody listed this award before...

regards

Florian

Hi all,

Just wondered if, #1 there is any list of recipients of the Olympic Decorations from 36 or #2 if there is any type of list re those or other similar high awards given as reissues in 57? Especially the Olymnpic 1st and 2nd class I can't imagine there would have been many reissues in 57.

Didn't know if anyone happened to know this.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

• 1 month later...

Hi Don,

Thanks for stopping in to take a gander at the old girl. She is a beaut... a bit on the dusty side... now I wish I'd prettied her up. I'll probably have to do that and redo the pics so she'll be a nice and perty! :D

And I think you're right on them being Allach although I'm not going to say I'm positive. Perhaps one of the other members could confirm if this is correct. I've seen a few Allach pieces at Jack Angolia's and this does have that same beautiful white color that you can lose yourself in. :love: It's beautiful stuff for sure.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

There were 2 different bells, one was in the form of a bank and the other is pictured and it sat on a base, the one above is actually made by KPM if im not mistaken and not Allach. KPM pieces however are quite nice.

K

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

Does anyone know who designed the 1st and 2nd Class awards? Or who made them - I always though Godet but don't have anything to back that up.

I've also noticed from the few pictures available of the cases that the 1st Class usuallys seem to have the dome-headed push stud while I've only found pictures of the 2nd class case with a rectangular push-stud. Anyone know any more on that?

Thanks

James

• 2 weeks later...

Some fantastic pieces being posted in this thread, keep it coming guys :)

@james

I don't know if it's just me imagining it now but I also seem to recall seeing a

picture somewhere of a maker marked 1st or 2nd class decoration somewhere.

The more common commemorative medal however had clearly a few different makers.

As for the cases I have seen 2nd class examples with both round a rectangle push studs.

The 1st class I've only seen with the rectangular stud.

Edited by Raz

Now that you mention it, there is a picture of a mounted 2nd class in Detlev Neimann's book that has a tailor's label for Godet sewn onto the back. That doesn't mean that they made it of course. There is also a 1st class pictured in JR Angolia's book on Political/Civil awards that has the number 38 on the back, but the author says he doesn't know what this stands for. Anyway, Godet seems most likely to me, but I still can't back that up.

James

Warlord - thanks for the information confirming Godet as the manufacturer. And for showing such a high quality example.

Peter - I would be interested in any more details you can give about Raemisch being the designer. I have heard this before (it appears on a US militaria dealer's site) but I wonder if this might be the result of a misunderstanding. Professor Walter Raemisch is mentioned in the official report of the 1936 Olympics as having designed the Olympic Badges (with the Brandenburg Gate and Olympic rings) worn by participants and officials at the Games. He also designed the badge for visitors. But I have not seen anything convincing to say that Raemisch also designed the Olympia-Ehrenzeichen.

James

Hi Chris,

I wish I could be of more assistance, but I'm only passing on the info found in Angolia's 2nd vol. Whether or not this is a correct statement, I can't tell. But until contradicting info surface, what are our options? ;)

KR

Peter

Guest WAR LORD

There is also a 1st class pictured in JR Angolia's book on Political/Civil awards that has the number 38 on the back, but the author says he doesn't know what this stands for. UNFORTUNATLY THIS PIECE MIGHT VERY WELL BE A COPY.

• 9 months later...
    • 10 months later...