News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Would anyone have the time to check out Karl von Barton Stedman? I have been told that he served in the 4.Garde Grenadier Regiment prior to his death in 1901. A friend has a Reichsrevolver that was his personal sidearm and was interested to know what his service history was (dates of service and promotions). Thanks in advance for any information.

Regards,

Chip

In most instances, a name like that means the person (or relative) was adopted. A famous example is GFM Erich von Lewinski gen. von Manstein. His mother's sister, married to a von Manstein was unable to have children. Erich was one of several children in his family, and so before he was born his parents offered him to his aunt and uncle to adopt. Consequently, he was named von Lewinski gen. von Manstein to indicate his "true" while still allowing his adopted name to be used. Over time, von Lewinski seems to have been dropped and historians tend to refer to him simply as von Manstein, though this is not entirely correct.

Andy

In most instances, a name like that means the person (or relative) was adopted. A famous example is GFM Erich von Lewinski gen. von Manstein. His mother's sister, married to a von Manstein was unable to have children. Erich was one of several children in his family, and so before he was born his parents offered him to his aunt and uncle to adopt. Consequently, he was named von Lewinski gen. von Manstein to indicate his "true" while still allowing his adopted name to be used. Over time, von Lewinski seems to have been dropped and historians tend to refer to him simply as von Manstein, though this is not entirely correct.

Andy

Thanks, Andy! :beer:

Guest Rick Research

"gen." = "genannt," or "called."

I've always wondered about this family, which would seem by that combination to have somehow decamped from New England. I'm related to the Bartons (as in Clara, founder of the American Red Cross, Civil War nurse) and descended from the Stedmans of Hartford/Wethersfield, Connecticut. It seems an unlikely combination for anyplace BUT locally to me.

Would the D.K. be a Dienstkreuz or a D?ppelkreuz? He did serve in the Danish War. Any idea when he won the EK2? I think it may have been before 1870-71, so perhaps in the Danish or Austrian War?

Chip

Edited by Chip

• 4 weeks later...

One last question on this subject. Karl had two brothers who also served in the 4.G.G.R.. Robert von Barton Stedman (died 1884) and Franz Andreas von Barton Stedman (died 1938). Franz Andreas may have retired from the military in 1887. Any information available on either of these two brothers?

Chip

• 2 weeks later...

Chip,

all from the Offizier-Stammliste des K?nigin Augusta Garde-Grenadier-Regiments Nr. 4 by Generalleutnant z.D. Friedrich Maximilian v. Braum?ller, published by Ernst Siegfried Mittler und Sohn, Berlin 1910.

Regards

Glenn