News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rhodesian headdress 1964-80

• Replies 53
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good timing for this thread. (?) Ian Smith has just died. Some may consider that bad news? It is historically noteworthy nevertheless.

Indeed... some do consider it bad news.... Thank god Mugabe is still there to keep things running eh!

Saint, are the Bush jackets as expensive as the Bush hats?

I remember Rhodie Cammo in the late 80s in France was expensive as hell... then somehow became much cheaper in the 90s?

Thanks for your comments.

Chris,

From what I have seen, standart cammo jackets sell around GBP 40-50 (60-75 Euros), depending on the condition. Badged ones are rarely seen - I don't own one myself, though I have a couple of shirts -, but depending on the insignia, would commend higher prices.

I bought my first items in the early 90s, but really started to collect Rhodie militaria (Army only) some years later. Internet certainly changed many things on the availability and prices, but Special Forces-related items have never been cheap !

Eric

• 1 month later...

I can see why you collect the head gear. Their beret embelms are very impressive. The Psych emblem is very unique compared with the others! Was this a psych warfare unit or medical unit?

Most definitly PSYCHOLOGICAL OPERATIONS. The beret is for 1 Psychological Operations Unit.

1 POU established as part of the Corps of Infantry on 1 July 1977 and Headquartered at Old Cranborne Barracks, Salisbury (Harare). The main emphasis of 1POU was operations against the terrorists - structured towards psychological confusion of the enemy - the objective of so undermining his morale that he becomes unwilling to fight and is encouraged to defect from the forces of communism. Drew Chaney

Rhodesian Intelligence Corps

This is a great photo, as it confirms that the badge I have and light blue felt backing do in fact go together............I thought it may have been a 'dealers delight' or just palin WRONG!

GREAT COLLECTION

Drew Chaney

• 6 months later...

Bonjour,

That's a very interesting thread, thank you to show us these highly desirable headgears. However is it possible to have some views from Rhodie made berets. Is it true that rhodesian army received many bostwana made berets?

Thanks

Valery

Bonjour,

That's a very interesting thread, thank you to show us these highly desirable headgears. However is it possible to have some views from Rhodie made berets. Is it true that rhodesian army received many bostwana made berets?

Thanks

Valery

Valery,

Yes, there were berets from Botswana as well as Rhodesian made berets. A lot of the berets had their linings torn out for ease of shaping the beret and to reduce the heat of wearing a beret. Any Rhodesian berets that I have either have the lining torn out or are unmarked, unlike the Botswana berets that you see.

Cheers,

James

• 3 months later...

You're running out of berets to buy, Eric!! I just picked up a couple of Rhodesian berets recently, that being an officers and EM's beret for the Selous Scouts and an officers beret for the SAS. I'm beginning to rethink the amount of berets that were brought into Rhodesia, rather than thinking about any being made there. It would be interesting to compare the construction methods between each beret to see if manufactures can be pin pointed!

Cheers,

James

• 9 months later...

I was pleased to see this thread - posted before I joined - it contains some interesting berets and badges. Most of the badges - apart from SAS and Selous are still available - however, the berets are becoming scarce. One of the reasons camo is hard to find , is because it was illegal in South Africa - and this is where most of it landed-up.

For anyone needing info. - or, starting a collection, Col. Dudley Wall's two books are invaluable. Let me know if anyone needs the contact details?

I was pleased to see this thread - posted before I joined - it contains some interesting berets and badges. Most of the badges - apart from SAS and Selous are still available - however, the berets are becoming scarce. One of the reasons camo is hard to find , is because it was illegal in South Africa - and this is where most of it landed-up.

For anyone needing info. - or, starting a collection, Col. Dudley Wall's two books are invaluable. Let me know if anyone needs the contact details?

I know Dudley and he's a good man. His latest edition book (3rd edition) is arguably the best book on Rhodesian militaria on the market today.

Here is another beret. Selous Scouts Officer's beret but with an OR beret badge instead of an Officer's beret badge. Belonged to a decorated WO2.

Peter - I missed that you are a new member - welcome. You have the added advantage of being an Aussie - or are you a Rhodie or, Sth. African ?

Dudley was 2 i/c of SA Intell. - he was a full col. but has now gone with his wife and sister to UK - I can always put you in touch with him. I think he did a great job with his Rhodesian ref. books - I find them invaluable. He has also done the first in a series on S.A. badges and medals - Owen will have to look out.

Where do you live in Aust. - if you say Perth - then I know your from here........

• 1 month later...

Eric - It's strange when you realise that the UDI period in Rhodesian history lasted for only 15 years - and yet the full paraphanalia of a modern Country is available. I doubt if many members realise just how rare some of these items are becoming. I am never sure whether to feel saddened - or, excited - that these last few years have seen so many changes , and that we have lived through them ?

Would be nice if we could start a thread showing some of the rarer Rhodesian memorabilia - not just militaria. This could be valuable ref. material for the future. I will add some pieces if someone will start.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton