News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hee hee, look what I found

Guest Brian von Etzel

beer.gif

Somewhere in the aunties' disordered packing and storage are...

the ribbon bars!

Funny you should say that. I asked Gudi, so what about the uniforms and ribbon bars. She distinctly remembers the uniforms in a trunk but then no sign of them when she took over the business of going through the belongings. I surmise the uniforms of G.v.Etzel are out there somewhere sold for food to a British or American soldier. I would think the ribbon bars were very possibly on the uniforms in the trunk? It's why I keep looking...

Guest Brian von Etzel

I know he had a late ribbon bar as I found this photo taken when he must have been a Corps commander. Believe it was mistakenly ID'd earlier than the 1918 I believe it was. Why else would he be standing next to Hindenb.

I think he's say to Hindenb., "I have a bigger bar than you do." And, I'd be happy to have one of those Grand Crosses, though... shame.gif

Edited by Brian von Etzel

It just gets better and better Brian... a great find!

Perhaps he also says to Hindenburg..."If I stand side on like this, my EK1 will look vaulted...."

Do you have the EK1... and is it?

Marshall

Edited by Biro

Guest Brian von Etzel

Let's hope your good luck continues, Brian. biggrin.gif  beer.gif

Thanks Bob, but I think that well is pretty much dry.

The only things I know about for sure are his trunks with his name that he carried throughout the war. I have one photo that shows them in what was his 'room' that looks like a church.

Who recognizes the maker of this one?

It's a Sy-Wagner.... and I would venture extremely early.

When was he awarded this and could I please see the pin and hinge set-up on this Brian?

The obverse detail of this piece is extremely interesting to me... I'll elaborate, but a reverse would be great...

Marshall

Edited by Biro

Guest Brian von Etzel

Thanks Rick.

Marshal, how do you do it...

Yes it is...

And yes, very early. He won it in 1914. The other is unmarked, which, I always thought ironic, from a collector's viewpoint. Which would you rather have, an unmarked PlM winner's EK or a marked one by any maker?

Edited by Brian von Etzel

Brian

I have a vested interest!

It is my opinion that the thin core is not the only indication that yours is early!

Take for example, this matching EK1 on the right from another VERY famous recipient....

I know for a fact that his is early....

[attachmentid=10551]

because things are not quite as they seem! biggrin.gif

[attachmentid=10552]

The piece next to yours above is unmarked and attributed to Kaiser Wilh. I.

We can clearly see by the matching crown and W on the 1914 and 1870 examples above and the VERY similar, slightly crude style of dates, that the dies for these two EK's from different era's came from the same hand.

To the best of my knowledge, S-W marked only the pin on the early 1914 examples like yours, never the cross itself.... so I beleive the original dies that spawned the Kaisers 1870 piece (and incidentally, my 1870 Godet marked piece which is identical to the Kaisers above...) were reworked in 1914 either by or for Sy & Wagner and that therefore the dies for your example started life in 1870, possibly originally as a Godet product.

It's a very nice piece either way... and yes, unmarked PLM winners piece over fancy maker marked piece anytime!!!

Marshall

Edited by Biro