News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

India - Provisional Government of Azad Hind

Ed_Haynes

I am consistently amazed at the massive body of mythology regarding this award that persists, especially among the Third-Reich collecting crowd.

:rolleyes:

That's why we are all waiting with baited breath for your book- :Cat-Scratch:

If Schiffer does it I'm certain they'll have "Provides the most detailed and complete information on the Azad Hind awards , a requirement for every serious and advanced collector etc."....

....it'll go into a second printing within a month.

Throw in a few pages about any "SS" connections and it'll go into a third edition easily :rolleyes: .

Edited by Ulsterman

• Replies 64
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:shame: It's not post war or fake it's 100%,as soon as I can I will post this bad boy.Thanks anyway and if you may have any items to sell Iam always looking.Thank You Darrell English

:rolleyes: Rick asked me if I had blacklighted my bar,I did the other night.The olny thing that was all a glow was the lint one the backside of the bar.Rick would still like to proform one more perverted act upon my littel bar,I told him only if I cought sell the photos to Penthouse! Thanks Darrell English

• 2 years later...
    Guest Darrell

Does anyone have any information or updates on when the Azad Hind Awards book is to be publishedÉ

thanks, Al

Who knows. All those involved in this thread have packed up and left moons ago ....

Does anyone have any information or updates on when the Azad Hind Awards book is to be publishedÉ

thanks, Al

Medals and Decorations of Independent India - Edward S. Haynes, Rana T. S. Chhina, Published by Ajay Kumar Jain, 2008, ISBN 978-81-7304-719-0

Large format, detailed, well illustrated, with a good section on Azad Hind. Rs. 2750. Worth the price.

Don't know how he's distributing it, but copies were on sale at OMSA convention a couple of years ago. You could probably contact Ed through OMSA or on SAGongs forum.

Best,

Hugh

Medals and Decorations of Independent India - Edward S. Haynes, Rana T. S. Chhina, Published by Ajay Kumar Jain, 2008, ISBN 978-81-7304-719-0

Large format, detailed, well illustrated, with a good section on Azad Hind. Rs. 2750. Worth the price.

Don't know how he's distributing it, but copies were on sale at OMSA convention a couple of years ago. You could probably contact Ed through OMSA or on SAGongs forum.

Best,

Hugh

Hi Hugh

thank you very much for the information. I will defintely look for the book and try to get a copy.

take care, Al

Edited by Spitfire

• 2 years later...

Whihe sometimes viewed as "Nazi" awards these are not, these are alliesd awards of the Provisional Government of Azad Hind [Free India] (PGAH). Established in Germany by Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, the PGAH represents the sole pre-1947 issuance of awards by Independent India. (Well, there are a couple of medals issued by Congress for various Satyagraha campaigns, but....)

Will post PGAH awards here.

Ed

Please see my book For Free India. at www.freeindianlegion.info or contact me at aadneeven2002@yahoo.com

Please see my book For Free India. at www.freeindianlegion.info or contact me at aadneeven2002@yahoo.com

Hello Heho,

Welcome to the GMIC. I regret to inform you that Ed no longer visits us here but he can be reached, if you so desire, at Sagongs forum.

Regards

Brian

Whihe sometimes viewed as "Nazi" awards these are not, these are alliesd awards of the Provisional Government of Azad Hind [Free India] (PGAH). Established in Germany by Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, the PGAH represents the sole pre-1947 issuance of awards by Independent India. (Well, there are a couple of medals issued by Congress for various Satyagraha campaigns, but....)

Ed

Please check my book For Free India for sale by me. Visit my special website www.freeindianlegion.info regards, Aad

Ed

Please see my book For Free India website www.free indianlegion.info. Aad

Shaheed-i-Bharat / Martyr of India

Established in 1942. Awarded posthumously to all Indian soldiers who gave their lives in the armed struggle for Indian independence, 1942-45. The medal is sometime seen without swords, and this is almost certainly a fantasy manufacture. It is estimated that only about three hundred of these decorations were manufactured in Europe; South-East Asian manufacturing has not been established. Known to have been awarded 4 times in Southeast Asia.

This is a restrike from original dies by Rudolf Souval of Vienna.

Please see y book For Free India or visit my website www.freeindianlegion.info. Aad

Sher-i-Hind / Tiger of India

Established 1942, though the first documented award came only in 1944. Awarded to soldiers in the Indian Legion or Indian National Army or civilians, already in possession of the Sardar-i-Jang medal for additional or ongoing acts of bravery (with swords) or distinguished service (without swords). In this sense, the award was generally patterned on the German Iron Cross. This decoration carried with it an annual stipend of Rs. 300 when awarded with swords. It is estimated that only about one hundred of these decorations were manufactured in Europe; South-East Asian manufacturing has not been established.

To understand the award better, a sample recipient would Naik Kehar Singh (presumably an award with swords, but the citation does not specify this):

?On the 18th of May 1944, a unit of the I.N.A. was picqueting a hill in the central sector of the Indo-Burma frontier. Of those on duty, Naik Kehar Singh was one. On an early morning the enemy made an unprecedented pre-planned attack on our picquet.

?One of our comrades, who was working a light machine-gun against the enemy was fatally wounded by enemy fire. He signaled to his comrades to come and occupy his machine-gun. But the man who was to relieve him had already been shot dead by enemy fire. Naik Kehar Singh was witnessing all this from a short distance. He made a spontaneous decision.

?The enemy was firing uninterruptedly. But caring not for his own safety, he rushed through the pouring bullets to occupy the machine gun post. By the time he reached the post, the enemy had approached him to as close as ten yards. With a smile on his lips, Kehar Singh picked up the machine gun and resting it against his hip opened fire on the enemy who were shooting at him with a tommy gun.

?Neglecting the enemy fire, Naik Kehar Singh went on working his own machine gun, so much that the enemy had to retreat. At this he put the machine gun in position and went on firing to push the enemy back to complete retreat.?

The medal ? as well as the others ? was also awarded to German (and, one presumes, Japanese) officers and others involved with the Indian Legion and Indian National Army. For example, the famous late German phalerist Dr. K.-G. Kleitmann was awarded the Sher-i-Hind with swords. It is estimated that only perhaps twenty-five Sher-i-Hind medals were awarded, including two awards for Southeast Asia.

Tamgha-i-Shartu Nash / Medal for Destroying the Enemy

Not much is known about this award. It was established (date unknown) by Bose after he was in Southeast Asia. Awarded to members of the Indian National Army or to civilians for the killing or capture of a British or American officer or enlisted man under conditions where individual bravery and initiative were involved. This appears to be the only Free Indian award distinctive to the Asia Theater.

The award came in two classes: first class, for those members of the I.N.A. who exhibit conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in killing or capturing alive any British or American officer or other rank, either in single combat or in group fighting, where qualities if individual initiative and bravery come into play; second class, for those members of the I.N.A. who kill or capture alive any British or American officer or other rank, either in single combat or in group fighting, where qualities of individual initiative and bravery come into play.

To understand the award better, sample recipients would the awards in the second class to Havildar Pir Mohammed and Havildar Hakim Ali:

?In the Arakan Sector [of Burma], Hav. Pir Mohd. And Hav. Hakim Ali, along with other men, were sent on patrol duty on February 5 [1944?]. On the way they came across a small unit of the 30th Indian Cavalry. Our patrol tried hard to persuade this unit to join the Azad Hind Fauj [= Indian National Army], but as they were under command of a British N.C.O., they did not respond. Upon this Hav. Pir Mohd. and Hav. Hakim Ali fired at them with Tommy guns and killed a British officer and a soldier. The enemy unit who was on patrol took to his heels.?

No specimens of the award have been observed or reported.

Please check my book For Free India for sale by me. Visit my special website www.freeindianlegion.info regards, Aad

Shaheed-i-Bharat / Martyr of India

Established in 1942. Awarded posthumously to all Indian soldiers who gave their lives in the armed struggle for Indian independence, 1942-45. The medal is sometime seen without swords, and this is almost certainly a fantasy manufacture. It is estimated that only about three hundred of these decorations were manufactured in Europe; South-East Asian manufacturing has not been established. Known to have been awarded 4 times in Southeast Asia.

This is a restrike from original dies by Rudolf Souval of Vienna.

• 8 years later...