News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Czechoslovakian Military Academy Badges

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

This MASSIVE chunk of silver (the star is about the same size as a Soviet Order of the Red Star) for a graduate of the first (?) Communist Class of the War Academy in 1951 is numbered 44:

The badge, washer, and Zukov maker marked screw nut are all elaborately silver hallmarked--

Anybody got other ones? I have not seen any of these for years now. maybe they've all been smelted into bullion bars in the national treasury!

Guest Rick Research

Same maker mark and hallmarks? Mine has a larger flat washer,

but it looks like yours is hallmarked silver too.

I wonder where these were worn on a tunic-- they are HEAVY! I wonder too with so much massive solid silver whether at some point these were replaced by the Soviet style diamond shaped badges? The contrast between these splendid badges and the usual Warsaw Pact stuff is startling.

I have noooooooooooooooooooooo information at all on these. I've seen several different military academies, and all dated in the 1950s.

I wonder too with so much massive solid silver whether at some point these were replaced by the Soviet style diamond shaped badges? The contrast between these splendid badges and the usual Warsaw Pact stuff is startling.

I have noooooooooooooooooooooo information at all on these. I've seen several different military academies, and all dated in the 1950s.

Soviet style Czech acadamy badges indeed did exist, nowhere near the quality of your 50's examples or their Soviet counterparts by the look of this one.

The only info I was able to find out was that this example is a Higher military academy badge possibly, Brno.

Regards Eddie.

Guest Rick Research

:beer:

Has there been any reference material published about Czechoslovak Communist period awards and badges? I've never seen anything for the period after 1938.

:beer:

Has there been any reference material published about Czechoslovak Communist period awards and badges? I've never seen anything for the period after 1938.

Nothing I have seen, Rick, in any known human language. And I have been looking. Another hole that wants filling?!?!

But, as fragile as Czech enamel seems to be, maybe such a projct wouldn't stand up. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Always welcome Ed,

Worth wasting a few hours though, Vladimir has done a good job there.

With regards to the Soviet style acadamy badge posted earlier. Andre Huesken has two versions on his site. apparently it's from the Military acadamy in Prague.

The earlier version is enamelled and the later Laquered both made of Babbit/white metal.

Regards Eddie

Nothing I have seen, Rick, in any known human language. And I have been looking. Another hole that wants filling?!?!

But, as fragile as Czech enamel seems to be, maybe such a projct wouldn't stand up. :rolleyes:

Hello Ed, Rick and evrybody else in this thread!

There is one good reference book on Czechoslovak/Czech badges, written in a known human language (Czech, with English and German translations too :lol: ).

"Ceskoslovenske & Ceske Vojenske Odznaky" by Zdenek Krubl, ISBN 80-206-0737-4

This book contains virtually every Czech badge that has been in use until today, and ought to be available at least in Czech Rep

(I picked mine up in a "normal" book shop in Plzen the other year).

Greetings, GRA

Thanks GRA,

That saves me looking around trying to find it again :D

"Czechoslovak & Czech Military Badges (1922-1997)"

"Ceskoslovenske & Ceske Vojenske Odznaky (1922-1997)"

"Tschechoslowakische & Tschechische Militarabzeichen (1922-1997)"

By Zdenek Krubl

Edited by Taz

Same maker mark and hallmarks? Mine has a larger flat washer,

but it looks like yours is hallmarked silver too.

I wonder where these were worn on a tunic-- they are HEAVY! I wonder too with so much massive solid silver whether at some point these were replaced by the Soviet style diamond shaped badges? The contrast between these splendid badges and the usual Warsaw Pact stuff is startling.

These badges in silver (800, 900, 925, 1000 parts) seem to have been replaced by lighter badges in base metal for service dress wear, and they seem to have been awarded until 1954, when a considerably smaller and simpler badge (post #6?) replaced it.

Earlier badges (pre-WW2) had different devices for different years on the scrolls, with a slightly different design, and less

"political" of course. Currently issued are modern versions (with minor design changes) of the pre-WW2 version.

/GRA

Nice! Thanks, both. Off to abebooks I go . . . .

And, GRA, I'm not sure if I were in Pilzen I'd be budying books or looking for a pub . . . . :beer:

One just has to follow a strict discipline!

1: Business - beer

2: Pleasure - books

And, when in the loop, why get off? :cheers:

/GRA

Very interesting, and a nice badge.

It seems that there is an updated version of the book.

Czechoslovak & Czech Military Badges 1922-2004

Author: Zdenek Krubl

Pages: 117

Language: Czech, English and German

Description:

This publication is the first of its kind, as there has not been a fully illustrated book of military badges produced in Czechoslovakia or the Czech Republic up to this time. With the help of collectors of military badges this publication illustrates and gives information on all of the badges.

It may used as a check list of the qualification and proficiency badges of the former Czechoslovak Army (CSA) and the Czechoslovak People?s Army (CSLA) from 1922 to July 1992. Included in the publication are illustrations of the badges of the Army of the Czech Republic issued from 1993 up to 2004. Collectors will find this publication a useful guide to military badges of this period and it will also help them to see how many they need to complete their collection.

Regards Eddie.

The only bad thing with this book is that the translations into English and German is not even near the mass of info

that is written in Czech, but one would at least know more after reading this book than before. There?s also

appearing books on Czech cloth patches, same thing there, lots of Czech and less English/German.

/GRA

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...