News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Trafalgar Medal

Peter BL

I have'nt got details to hand, but a number of "unofficial" medals were struck & awarded to those who participated in the battle, including "Davidsons" & Boultons" plus souvenir pieces for sale.

Awarded in different grades (gold down to pewter depending on rank), yours appears to be of pewter?

I'm sure that if you search on "Trafalgar Medals" or similar then you will find plenty of info. on these medals.

I don't know enough about them to identify your medal without checking the sites or books myself which I'm not able to do at the moment.

I'm sure that there are other members of the forum who will know a lot about these.

I have'nt got details to hand, but a number of "unofficial" medals were struck & awarded to those who participated in the battle, including "Davidsons" & Boultons" plus souvenir pieces for sale.

It doesn't appear to be either the Davidson's (which was issued to all ranks) or the Boulton's - the descriptions of the busts are wrong. Both of those are rare and valuable. One story is that once the tars realized the Davidson's weren't precious metal - an hence not saleable- they either threw them overside or nailed them to the mast of whatever ship they were serving on, even prying them off again when transferred to another vessel.

Probably a privately produced souvenir piece, but if the condition is any indicator possibly contemporary to the event and therefore of some interest.

Peter

It doesn't appear to be either the Davidson's (which was issued to all ranks) or the Boulton's - the descriptions of the busts are wrong. Both of those are rare and valuable. One story is that once the tars realized the Davidson's weren't precious metal - an hence not saleable- they either threw them overside or nailed them to the mast of whatever ship they were serving on, even prying them off again when transferred to another vessel.

Probably a privately produced souvenir piece, but if the condition is any indicator possibly contemporary to the event and therefore of some interest.

Peter

It's the medal of the Shipwrecked Fishermen and Mariners Benevolent Society, 1855 pattern and was a membership badge, the medal was designed by J. Davis of Birmingham. It is the scarcer of the two major varieties of the medal.

Paul

Thanks for the help with this one.....I'll post a close-up of the reverse.

Kr.....Peter

From the photo it appears that the recipient became a member in 1870, up until 1882 the reverse were dated with year of enrollment.

All the best,

Paul