News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

One of the two (the York & Lancaster Regiment being the other) British line infantry regiments disbanded rather than be amalgamated during the 1950's - 60's.

The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), a Lowland regiment, were the only Rifle regiment amongst the Scottish infantry units, having been formed in 1881 by the amalgamation of the 26th Cameronian Regiment (which had been raised in 1689) and the 90th Perthshire Light Infantry (raised in 1794).

It raised 27 battalions during WWI.

The 2nd Bn, which along with the 1st Bn constituted the regular element of the regiment, was disbanded in 1948 as were the 2nd Bns of every other line infantry regiment.

The 1st Bn was disbanded in 1968 & the Kings Own Scottish Borderers took over its recruiting area.

The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) Regimental Headquarters closed in 1987.

The Cameronians survived the disbandment of the regular battalions until 1997, forming elements of the 52nd Lowland Volunteers until the surviving company was rebadged as KOSB.

The badge of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) included in its design the 5 - pointed Douglas star. It's also known as a "mullet", & represents More properly it is called a roundel or rowel of a spur. The bugle and ribbon signify Light Infantry or Rifle regiment. They wreath is of Scottish thistles.

Although officially sharing the name The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), the 1st Bn styled itself The Cameronians, the 2nd Bn The Scottish Rifles, and at times they wore different headress badges - the 1st Bn wearing the 5-pointed star, beribboned bugle & thistle wreath, the 2nd Bn wearing a beribboned bugle with "SR".

The Douglas tartan of The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), adopted by them in 1890 is still worn - by Pipers of the Royal Gurkha Rifles.

The Balmoral bonnet, as worn by the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) & other Scottish units is worn units of the Sultan of Muscat's Armed Forces, as a result of an operation carried out n their support by the 1st Bn in Oman in 1957. The current Sultan, HM Sultan Qaboos bin Said, was an officer of the 1st Bn in the 1960's

This badge puzzled me for some time, there were a number of different headress versions of the star/ bugle/ thistle badge in various sizes & metals, but not this large size or with the Kings Crown, I wondered whether this was a fantasy piece or some form of officers adornment restruck in Other Rank quality metals, but it is, I believe, a sergeants pouch badge.

The only Cameronians battalions, apart from the 1st Bn, left standing after the last War were the 6th, 7th & 10th Bns(T.A.). The 6th & 10th amalgamated in 1947 and were reconstitued as the 6th(Lanarkshire)Bn. This and the 7th Bn were amalgamated in June 1950 to become the 6/7th Bn, Cameronians(Scottish Rifles)(T.A.).

The story of the 6/7th Bn becomes a little complicated with it splitting into two elements on the formation of TAVR II & TAVR III in April 1967. It forms both 'D'(Cameronians(Scottish Rifles))Coy, 52nd Lowland Volunteers(which later became the 1st Bn, 52nd Lowland Volunteers in 1971) and 'B'(6/7th Cameronians(Scottish Rifles))Coy,The Royal Scots & Cameronians Territorials.

In April 1969 a 'cadre' from 'B' Company,R.S. & C.T. was formed as the 6/7th(T)Bn, Cameronians(Scottish Rifles), which was then disbanded in April 1971 and reformed as No.4(Cameronians(Scottish Rifles))Coy, 2nd Bn, 52nd Lowland Volunteers.

What has happend in the intervening years I'm not sure, but think Leigh is correct with his analysis.

Graham.

• 5 months later...

this is one of the most famous scottish regiments which took part in the 21 june attack at helles gallipoli!!,

here is a photo i took last year of the ground where they attacked!, i hae taken the photo near twelve tree copse cemetery where my relative capt.antrobus is burried,the cameronians attacked in this direction in the battle of gully ravine in order tae capture the village,which is directly ahead to the north-east,approximately 1 kms awa!

• 3 weeks later...
    • 5 months later...

A sergeant of the Cameronians in Service Dress, circa WWI.

The white metal glengary badge is the "mullet", a five pointed star, within a thistle wreath at the base of which is a stringed bugle (sergeants wore the same badge as Other Ranks but slightly larger), the buttons are of black horn & bear a crowned bugle withing thistle wreath.

The photograher is "J. W. Tattersall & Co, Blackburn Rd, Accrington".

Written on the back of the photograph s: "Wishing you a Happy new year Charlie"

Edited by leigh kitchen

• 9 months later...

The silver anodised version of the badge & the silver anodised version of the Pipers badge, black painted, presumably for field use

The 1st Battalion wore this design, the 2nd Battalion wore a larger version of the "normal" mullet & thistle wreath badge.

Edited by leigh kitchen

I don't know exactly what this badge is, its about "2 wide as opposed the the "normal" 2 3/4" or thereabouts, & it's fitted with a slider.

It's been suggested that it's a pagri badge, perhaps worn by Indian mess servants, but I don't think so, illustrations that I've seen of the pagri badge show it as a more delicate looking badge, & I think Indian servants would have worn silver rather than whit metal.

It's also been suggested that it's an army cadet badge, but I don't see why it would be issued in this size, unless such cadets would wear a beret.

A badge which had some use in the 52nd Highland Volunteers, post disbandement of The Cameronians?

• 1 year later...

Thought you might be interested in a recent purchase - a Regimental Medal to the 26th Regt (Cameronians), dated 1823. A little outside my collecting area of interest (Napoleonic period), but I couldn't resist it - just so beautifully detailed, with its original ribbon:

SoldierSide.jpg

FlagsSide.jpg

Ruler.jpg

FlagsSideClose.jpg

The medal, which is listed in George Tancred (Historical Record of Medals and Honorary Distinctions) and in J.L. Balmer (Regimental and Volunteer medals, Volume 1, Regular Army), is unfortunately not named. This medal was commissioned privately by the Commanding Officer, Lt Col Henry Oglander and was struck by the very well known London Goldsmiths 'Rundell, Bridge and Rundell'.

• 6 months later...
    • 9 years later...