News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mackensen Honor Cross 1st Class

Guest Rick Research

It's one of thousands of 1920s veterans vanity self-purchase pieces, I think. Never seen any documentation for one.

Cheers Rick. What state does it come from if any? I have read somewhere that "von Mackensen" was a celebrity TR supporter a I Have seen TR waffenring deutsches kavallerie badges. Its the same Mackensen on the Honour badge Weimer era?

I have to admit I dont know a lot about this person but if anyone has any links I could check out? Just intrigued and wish to find the significance of the medal I mentioned first.

Cheers Rob :cheers:

Edited by EuRob

I do know that Von Mackensen was a highly rated field commander WW1 on the Eastern front. But why this medal? Whats the significance?

Hi Rob.

This is what I understand it to be. A waffenring is a "fraternitie", in this case of the Cavalry, much like those of Universities, collages etc.

Mackensen a well honoured Ulan Officer gave his name to this bravery award of WW I for members of this group of Cavalry Officers.

Awarded as far as I know in first and second class.

It is a Weimar Republik award 45mm in diameter. Gilt and emamel. The reverse of the Cross shown has the the makers name "C. H. Arnold Coburg".

Image CO Andre Huesken

Regards Eddie.

Edited by Taz

Guest Rick Research

It is not a bravery award, but a veterans' association badge.

Since none of the thousands of private "group" awards were official, there are no statutes and... no published information.

By 1938 the Nazis had "incorporated" all private veterans groups, but when this particular one was created, what any different "classes" were given out for, or for how long...

not a clue.

I've never seen any paperwork.

It is not a bravery award, but a veterans' association badge.

Since none of the thousands of private "group" awards were official, there are no statutes and... no published information.

By 1938 the Nazis had "incorporated" all private veterans groups, but when this particular one was created, what any different "classes" were given out for, or for how long...

not a clue.

I've never seen any paperwork.

Hi Rick,

Yes very little on this award.

This is the one description of the award, the reason why I wrote for bravery

MACKENSEN-EHRENKREUZ 1.KLASSE. MEDAILLE "F?R TAPFERKEIT IM WELTKRIEGE 1914-1918"

Regards Eddie.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 5 months later...