News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia - Different Types of Commemorative WWI

Dear Gents,

In the French medal collection I have just acquired (see also under France) there are two types of what seems to be the same medal:

dsc01845xc8.jpg

Next to the obvious difference in ribbon, the suspension is different as well:

Type 1: Ball suspension standing on a small "foot"

dsc01843kj0.jpg

Type 2: Ball suspension seems to be attached directly to medal

dsc01844sh6.jpg

And also the amount of detail and the size of the years:

Type 1: Notice the bigger 1914 1918; more detailed/sharper lines

dsc01846zg6.jpg

Type 2: Smaller 1914 1918; more rounded lines, not as detailed

dsc01847ti5.jpg

Can anyone shed a light on this differences? They come from the same man (sailor), is there a particular reason why hy would have gotten two medals? Or is there a different meaning attached to the different ribbon?

Thank you for your opinions!

• Replies 69
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Yes it is. IMO It matches the ribbon but not the medal. You can see that the medal ring is not entirely closed either so I suspect it has been "refitted"

And as far as I know this medal comes with the tricolor ribbon as in type 1... don't know what medal this darkred ribbon would belong to though... It seems almost the same (faded) ribbon as the Obilich bravery medal... ( http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20569&hl=obilich )

Edited by love4history

• 2 months later...

I have one of these with a silver coloured ring, looks out of place, & the medal itself seems modern. Apart from official issues these were presumably produced for purchase too?

There is a thread re the ribbons on forum somewhere, I had an idea that apart from other usage the tricolour ribbon was used on a number of WWI period medals.

Hello William

correct response, the two main producers of theese medals have been in first place Arthus Bertrand and a little bit later on Huguenin from Switzerland. There are even more variatins than this two, the most RRR is the one where the number "7" in 1917 is missing the small bar across. I will try to make pics and post them. As you already know my time ressources are pretty low.

Best regards

Milan

These are just from different manufacturers, hence the variations.

William

• 4 weeks later...

Finally I got the time to look for the pictures and to prepare them for upload.

Here is another variant !

Rregards

Milan

Different manufacturers may account for the variation in the medals themselves (I assume that those with the silver coloured rings are of more recent manufacture?) but the different ribbons that they turn up on?

• 1 year later...

To all,

Here are some recent pickups of a couple of Serbian War Commemorative Medals and their award documents. First will be a French produced medal and then an award document to a Serbian soldier. The second will be a Huguenin Frères produced one, with its box, and an award certificate to a French soldier.

Hope they are of use to others.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Here is the award document, issued by the Town of Belgrade to an official in the Headquarters of the Drina Division's area. Dated 22 August 1925 it is also signed (stamped) by the Head of the Town of Belgrade Assembly.

A very lovely decorative award certificate it is. It is a longer document which meant I had to scan it in two parts and then rejoin it.

Edited by RobW

Here is the Huguenin Frères produced medal. It is suspended by what appears to be a thick wire or tab suspender.

Of note is that the 1917 on the reverse is missing the usually seen crossed 7.

Edited by RobW

Here is the award document. It was awarded to a French soldier as late as November 1930.

While they may be difficult to ascertain on this scan there are two embossed seals on the document; one near the centre adjacent to the serial number and a further one at the bottom of the document underneath the right hand signature.

Again such lovely detail on the certificate. It is also a longer document which meant it was scanned in two parts and rejoined.

Hope these are of use to others.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 2 months later...

Nice, complete set. :love:

Congratulations Rob.

Thanks Sasa,

I mainly collect the Interallied Victory medal series but also have an interest in some other related Great War medals, including Serbian items.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

To all,

Here is another World War 1 Commemorative Medal produced in France.

It is different from the specimen posted at #15 insofar as it has a much lighter tone, the oval suspension ring is brass instead of the narrower silver coloured one, and has a slightly coarser ribbon.

On the reverse the tri-fold ribbon ring hole is higher to accommodate the more oval shaped suspension ring.

Box pics to follow.

Regards,

Rob

To all,

The shallow cardboard box is a pale blue colour with the dates imprinted vertically down the box lid. Other French boxes have been seen with the dates printed horizontally across the middle.

Regards,

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

To all,

Here is the latest arrival.

I think it closely similar but again different to that posted in #1. It has a slightly larger ball suspender that is raised a little above the medal most likely as a result of the solder joint.

The sword hilts and blades look similar and there seems to be the same larger shield and doubled-headed eagle on the reverse.

Happy for all thoughts and opinions.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW