News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia - Different Types of Commemorative WWI

To all,

As alluded to in post # 24 here is another box with the dates printed horizontally across the middle. It is of the same plain pasteboard type construction as before. Although it may not appear evident from the scan the box is of a light blue colour.

Regards,

Rob

• Replies 69
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is another recent arrival. It has been tentatively attributed to the French manufacturer, located in Paris, M. Delande although this has yet to be confirmed.

It has a different suspension ring, being totally round and not elongated as is usually seen on the more common strikes. It has a slightly thicker planchet and a much darker bronze finish. There are minor obverse & reverse variations compared to the other strikes, as well as being suspended by a thicker weaved ribbon.

Hope it is of use to others for comparison.

Regards,

Rob

• 1 month later...

To all,

Here is another award document which arrived recently. It is similar to that document posted previously (post #20) but in this case it was awarded to a French marine.

While on the previous document there was an embossed seal at the bottom of the document underneath the right hand signature, in this case it is a printed seal of the same design. There is also a further French rubber stamped seal on the base as well.

This item completes the serb documents from my collection.

Hope they are of use to others.

Regards,

Rob

• 3 months later...

To all,

To change direction here are a couple of miniature Commemorative WW1 medals in different sizes.

The first is from a small French medal miniature bar that showed service in the Orient as well as Serbia.

This medal is 17.4 mm in diameter.

Regards,

Rob

Really nice and interesting posts.... thats why I prefer GMIC most - here is always something to learn, compare and study.cheers.gif

Really nice FULL sets what you have here Rob. I especially like certificates and idea to have a full set.

Here is my only Serbian WW1 Commemorative Cross:

162500276dd1e8_o.jpg

Really nice FULL sets what you have here Rob. I especially like certificates and idea to have a full set.

Hello Timo,

The set is not complete - yet!

The only remaining variety that I am still looking for is the example in posts #8-9 of this thread. That example has much shorter sword hilts, minor obverse and reverse design variations and much thicker date fonts. When I have that variety my set will be complete.

It is always a good challenge to identify the myriad of varieties of a particular medal and then to spend some not inconsiderable time locating them all. Much fun is had along the way :D

Regards,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

To all,

I have finally managed to obtain a specimen the same as that listed in posts #12-13. This example is characterised by a very large ball suspender, slightly different effigy and obverse inscription details and very narrow and flatter sword hilts that do not have the pronounced swirls on the ends. The large ball suspender suggests French manufacture but this is not conclusive.

When the item arrives in the mail I shall post pics.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 2 weeks later...

And here it is.

It is 41mm in diameter, measured from the widest point of the arms, and has a number of noticeable die differences compared to the others posted. The differences are easier to spot on the reverse. As indicated before the large ball suspender is reminiscent of French manufacture but this has not been confirmed yet.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 1 month later...

I've seen a wide variation is suspension ribbons on these, ranging from the tri-fold, straight, and Romanian style. Was the tri-fold ribbon the one typically worn on the Serb uniform??

Tim

Examples:

post-548-078787700 1287510065_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tim B

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a wide variation is suspension ribbons on these, ranging from the tri-fold, straight, and Romanian style. Was the tri-fold ribbon the one typically worn on the Serb uniform??

Tim

Examples:

Hello Tim,

I have seen these medals mounted on a long group with the ribbon as the backing similar to a court-mount. On the other hand I have also seen photographs of Serb soldiers wearing the individual medals on the tri-fold ribbon attached to their tunics. The straight ribbons are generally seen on French groups, as many French and other allied forces had troops on the Salonika front for quite a while. One of my award certificates was accompanied by the commemorative medal with straight ribbon as per your picture.

The Romanian style looks like a bit of 'creative licence' was taken as it is not even the correct ribbon.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

The Romanian style looks like a bit of 'creative licence' was taken as it is not even the correct ribbon.

Hi Rob,

Yes, I seen that as well. Of note, I even see these with a black ribbon with two narrow red stripes. Seems to cases where anything get added over time.

Tim

• 2 months later...

Another one; appears to be of the same French manufacture as the one Rob posted earlier in post #23.

Tim

Hey Tim,

A point of clarification which I should have posted earlier. The type of medal with the small ball, as per this example, and that previously posted by me (post # 23) is in fact a Freres produced variety. I have subsequently found out that those varieties of a darker bronze finish with larger ball suspenders were of French manufacture.

Either way there are many smaller varieties that make this medal interesting.

I recently obtained another copy with a number of award certificates. When the items arrive I shall post some pics.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for that clarification. So, if I understand correctly then, Huguenin Frères produced this version (the one I showed above) and the version with the unslashed "7" in 1917?

Tim

Hey Tim,

Yes that would be correct. At this stage I have identified two main varieties from Freres, as indicated, and up to 5 different French varieties. There is also a possible later-issue type that is consistent with Freres manufacture but I'm still looking into it before I make a determination.

Regards,

Rob

I recently obtained another copy with a number of award certificates. When the items arrive I shall post some pics.

Regards,

Rob

To all,

I recently picked up another Serb War Commemorative medal and documents. The medal was the same, produced by Huguenin Freres as previously posted (posts # 23 & 44) and the document was the same as that in post # 20.

With the medal came this smaller certificate. While my French is not that good I would suggest it is a direct French translation of the original Serb award certificate.

All thoughts and views welcomed.

Regards,

Rob