News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia - Different Types of Commemorative WWI

• Replies 69
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Gents,

In the French medal collection I have just acquired (see also under France) there are two types of what seems to be the same medal:

dsc01845xc8.jpg

Next to the obvious difference in ribbon, the suspension is different as well:

Type 1: Ball suspension standing on a small "foot"

dsc01843kj0.jpg

Type 2: Ball suspension seems to be attached directly to medal

dsc01844sh6.jpg

And also the amount of detail and the size of the years:

Type 1: Notice the bigger 1914 1918; more detailed/sharper lines

dsc01846zg6.jpg

Type 2: Smaller 1914 1918; more rounded lines, not as detailed

dsc01847ti5.jpg

Can anyone shed a light on this differences? They come from the same man (sailor), is there a particular reason why hy would have gotten two medals? Or is there a different meaning attached to the different ribbon?

Thank you for your opinions!

Unless I've missed it, no one has addressed the two different colors of ribbon in post # 1. I'm not qualified in this field, but perhaps we can stimulate comment from some one who actually knows.

Alec Purves' The Medals and Orders of the Great War states (P. 75): " ... all orders and medals which can be awarded in peacetime must - if awarded for received for war services - be worn with the Order of the Karageorge Star "With Swords", i.e., a plain red ribbon watered. "

This would not seem to apply to the War Commemorative Medal, since it is specifically for war service, but perhaps a confused military tailor just put the medal on a red ribbon (or perhaps he was out of stock on the correct ribbon.)

P. S. - My example is on the tricolor ribbon.

Best,

Hugh

• 3 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Finally I got the time to look for the pictures and to prepare them for upload.

Here is another variant !

Regards

Milan

To one and all,

Has anyone else seen this variety since Milan posted this variety with the very small sword hilts and wider dates?

Regards,

Rob

• 1 year later...

To one and all,

After a search over the last 18 months I finally managed to locate the example with the much shorter sword hilts.

That completes my set of varieties.

If there are any other varieties they would be good to see.

Regards,

Rob

Backside inscription: "100 Years Since the Great War".
    I have no idea who issued them or to whom are they supposed to be given, perhaps some kind of souvenir(?)

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2014/post-7937-0-34785700-1412674285.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2014/post-7937-0-56473900-1412674290.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Probaly one of these, Commemorative Medal of Serbian Warriors - 100 Years Since Great War 1914-1918 (Спомен медаља српских ратника - 100 година од Великог рата 1914-1918) awarded by the Club of Generals and Admirals of Serbia.

Edited by paja

Hello paja,

That is certainly very interesting indeed. Given that we are now amongst the 100 year centenary of the Great War we should probably expect to see more of these commemorative type medals appearing.

Thanks for the information and pics.

Regards,
    Rob

• 2 years later...

It would be nice if we can see photos from the beginning of the thread. I found it amusing to try to collect all variations of this medal. I think I have at least five different models with some additional variations. Still, I will have to look more to find the one with larger numbers, as well as the one with famous number 7.

Most striking one in my collection is one which is larger than others, a bit cruder, and has a strange suspension on the miniature stick with the ball, with the french style ribbon.

Those variations are difference of materials of medals produced by the same tools.

Here are some differences.

Two models with additional variations are present. Smaller ones are from HF (different material and 1gr difference in weight) and larger which are the variations from the same unknown producer, most probably French one.

In this topic (33rd post) similar one was presented, but as it can bee seen, there are two variations, with and without litle stick below the suspension ball.

There will be one more model to show ASAP which is in my humble collection.

IMG_20171020_100820157.jpg

IMG_20171020_100849126.jpg