News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Peter Nyitrays collections of Hungarian and Austro-Hungarian militaria.

Peter Orincsay

• Replies 238
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter,

Very niced cased awards. I would like to ask you for a favour. Would you please measure the distance of the pin on the back of the awards for me please. The distance I am interested in is from the hook side of the hinge to the top of the hook. I am attempting to replace badges on the existing loops of a Hungarian WWII generals tunic and I have one set of loops to go. I need something like one of these two medals that will fit loops that are 30mm apart.

Regards,

Gordon

Peter,

Very niced cased awards. I would like to ask you for a favour. Would you please measure the distance of the pin on the back of the awards for me please. The distance I am interested in is from the hook side of the hinge to the top of the hook. I am attempting to replace badges on the existing loops of a Hungarian WWII generals tunic and I have one set of loops to go. I need something like one of these two medals that will fit loops that are 30mm apart.

Regards,

Gordon

Here?s the Hungarian Order of Merit - Officers Cross.

• 3 weeks later...

Here?s a small ?Buttonhole? badge of the Orsz?gos Frontharcos Sz?vets?g, (The National Front-Line Fighters? Association). This is the original white badge. The badge was later made in green with golden details instead of the silver ones seen here.

The the Orsz?gos Frontharcos Sz?vets?g was founded the 24th, December 1931. Their mission was to help their disabled comrades, the widows and orphans; and to educate Europeans about the catastrophic war. Unlike many such organizations, the members acted as ambassadors of peace; closely working with veterans? groups from England and France - their former enemies. Female nursing personnel and veterans from all religions were welcome in this association, and all members, from generals to the lowest ranks, were considered equals. In September of 1939 the name was given a slightly more Hungarian flavour; Magyar T?zharcos Sz?vets?g, and continued serving the interests of the veterans and their families until the end of W.W.II.

The organization lives on today through their descendants at http://www.mhbk.com/ .

Here?s another buttonhole badge. It?s a miniature of the Hungarian Redcross Medal of merit. This medal quite unusual and was not a very common. This specific miniature belonged to an NCO who served in the ?L?goltalmi Liga?, the civil air defense.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven?t posted many pictures of my Austro-Hungarian collection this far.

Here is a Red Cross Honour Decoration 1914-1918, 2nd class (1864-1914) with war decoration.

The medal made by G.A SCHEID in its original casing arrived with the mail some days ago.

Edited by Peter Nyitray

Here?s a somewhat unique cigarette case which belonged to a Mr. B?la Barna. He was working as the head adviser at the 6th districts? police headquarters during 1920-1936. This cigarette case bears a symbol of the Horthy time?s police, a uniform helmet of a police officer. He retired in 1936 and lived in Budapest together with his wife. Some years after the war he was forced to break up this life with a few hours notice. Since he used to work for the old police he was seen of the communist state as a threat and had to leave the town and settle on a farm. He and his wife lived under very poor conditions the last years of their life, living next to a pigsty, mistreated and named as fascists and bourgeoisie by the locals on the farm. Not much is left of Mr. Barna?s things today, only memories... He died in 1953 and his wife, my great grandfather?s sister was allowed to move back to Budapest after 1956 were she died not long after.

This is a pair of a Hungarian made pilot's boots. I had these for many years and asked around since I couldn't find out it?s origin. It was actually not long ago that I got an e-mail from a guy who had seen my posted picture on a military forum page, and who owned a similar pair. He got his pair from the estate of a Hungarian WW2 pilot who used to fly a Messerschmitt in the Hungarian air force.

Later I also saw the same pair of boots in the very interesting and useful book of Hungarian WW2 uniforms "A Magyar Kir?lyi Honv?ds?g Egyenruh?i 1926-1945" by Dr. T?th L?szl?

( www.huniform.com )

Edited by Peter Nyitray