News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Transkei, Ciskei, and Bophutwatswana medals

stephenmiller

• 6 months later...

Hi Stephen

I found two images for you. The second one is of the Transkei Bravery Medal. I unfortunetely have no information yet on the medal. I believe it was never awarded and know it became obsolete on 26 April 1994. The first image is of the Venda Defence Force General Service Medal. It was awarded for service to the VDF or for the prevention and suppression of terrorism. The medal was also declared obsolete on 26 April 1994. The images are attached.

If you are interested in images of police medals of these areas, i might be able to find some.

Have a great day.

Norman

Edited by NPGilbert

Images of Merit Awards of the Bophuthatswana Defence Force

Both awards were instituted in 1982.

The Defence Force Merit Decoration (image 1 and 2) was awarded for distinguished service of the highest standard and utmost devotion to duty in the BDF. The decoration became obselete on 26 April 1994.

The Defence Force Merit Medal (image 3 and 4) was awarded for distinguished service in the BDF. It also became obsolete in April 1994.

Edited by NPGilbert

• 2 weeks later...

Any photos out there of medals and militaria of the former South African

"independent" homelands of Bophuthatswana, Transkei, and Ciskei?

Perhaps our South African friends can help us out on that.

Hi, I'll post more later for you

Bop Gallantry Cross

Edited by SAMedals

Very nice SAMedals! I can't get enough of these homelands medals.

But the correct ribbon for the Bop gallantry cross is a bright scarlett red (similar to the Legion d'Honneur). And I think the two medals in post number 7 are from Botswana, not from Bophuthatswana.

Edited by DutchBoy