News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pre-1947 Indian Non-Gallantry Groups

Guest Rick Research

Ah! A needlessly complex and awkward designation, that! :cheeky:

I have an IGS 1908 "Afghanistan-NWF 1919" to a "87 W.E. E. McKinley Rlys" and have never been able to figure out if he was a CIVILIAN Railways employee, why the number. NOT this lot, then, from absence of the rest of the alphabet soup.

• Replies 92
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an IGS 1908 "Afghanistan-NWF 1919" to a "87 W.E. E. McKinley Rlys" and have never been able to figure out if he was a CIVILIAN Railways employee, why the number. NOT this lot, then, from absence of the rest of the alphabet soup.

Yes, Rick, would assume he was a civilian railwayman, employed in moving troops up the frontier, most likely down in Sind. Nice medal.

The presence of a number makes me think that maybe the Government created an ad hoc unit, as otherwise I would have expected to see a Railway name.

Sepoy Nehala 20th Punjab Infantry

1- India General Service Medal 1854 - JOWAKI 1877-8 - "Sepoy Nehala 20th Regt N. I."

2- Second Afghan War- ALI MUSJID - "Sepoy Nehala (1) 20th Regt N. I."

3- Egypt 1882 - "Sepoy Nehala 20th Punjab Infy"

4- Egypt: Khedive's Star, 1882 - unnamed

Wasn't the 20th Dunsterville's regiment (Kipling's "Stalky")? They may well have served together.

• 2 weeks later...

825 Sepoy Ran Singh, 34th Punjab Pioneers

1- India General Service 1854 - HAZARA 1888 - "825 Sepoy Ran Singh 34th Bl Infy"

2- The India Medal 1895 - RofC 1895, PF 1897-98, TIRAH 1897-98 - "825 Sepoy Ran Singh 34th Bl Infy"

3- China War 1900 - "825 Sepoy Ran Singh 34th Pab Pioneers"

1852/1853 Sepoy Ratan Singh, 3d Sikh Infantry

1- India General Service Medal 1854 - SAMANA 1891, Waz 1894-95 - "1852 Sepoy Ratan Singh 3d Sikh Infy"

2- The India Medal 1895 - PF 97-98, SAMANA 1897, TIRAH 1897-98, Waz 1901-2 - "1853 Sepoy Ratan Singh 3d Sikh Infy"

Regimental number as 1852/1853. Possibly missing an IGS 08 (can anyone help?).

Lieutenant (S) P. G. Gokhale, Royal Indian Navy

1- Burma Star - unnamed, "restoration"

2- WWII War Medal - "LT.(S) P.G. GOKHALE, R.I.N.V.R."

3- Naval General Service Medal - George VI, 2nd variety - MINESWEEPING 1945-51 - "LT. (S) P.G. GOKHALE, R.I.N."

Shown in WWII Official History (p. 370) as serving in Burma Operations in the H.M.I.S. Rohilkhand (minesweeper). He was (apparently) commissioned 26 May 1945 (too late for Atlantic Star service and maybe too late for other qualifications?). The Royal Indian Navy were involved in minesweeping operations in the Malacca Straits commencing 2 September 1945. This included the 37th Mine Sweeping Flotilla consisting of nine minesweepers including the Rohilkhand, completing operations there by 13 November 1945. They then left Singapore and were involved in various other operations until the end of the year.

The Rohilkhand survived into the independent Indian Navy but had to be scrapped in 1956 after the 1948 cyclone that hit Bombay.

The group originally came with 1939-45 and Burma Stars (though it had first appeared on the market as just the last two medals). Increasingly, Gokhale's stars are appearing to be "restorations", though he was apparently qualified for the Burma Star, but not the 1939-45 Star. Need to check Indian Navy Lists. Much research awaits.

Chief Syrang of Lascars, 2nd Class, Sheikh Essack Baba, Royal Indian Marine

1- Africa General Service - Edward VII - SOMALILAND 1902-04 - "I SEAGUNNY SHEIK ESSACKBABA. R.I.M.S. HARDINGE."

2- British War Medal - "TNDL. SK. ESSACK SK. BABA, R.I.M."

3- Indian Army Meritorious Service Medal - George V, 1st variety - "SK. ESSACK BABA. CHIEF SYRANG OF LASCARS, 2ND CL."

Incomplete group?

568 Lance-Naik Shan, 7th Mule Corps

1- The India Medal, 1895 - Edward VII - WAZIRISTAN 1901-2 - 568 Multr Shan S & T Corps

2- Tibet Medal - GYANTSE - 568 Dvr Shan 7th Mule Corps

3- India General Service Medal, 1908 - Edward VII - NWF 08 - 568 Lce Naik Shan 7th Mule Corps

A nice "Three Teds" group.

1646 Sowar Jamal Khan, 1st Bombay Lancers

1- Queen's Sudan Medal, 1896-98 - Sowar Jamal Khan, 1st Bombay Lancers

Gaylor: "Their third spell of [operational] service abroad was a brief stay at Suakin on the Red Sea in 1896 when, as the 1st Bombay Lancers -- in consequence of the issue of the lance -- they formed part of a mixed cavalry brigade sent out from India." Service in Brigadier-General Egerton's force at Suakin, 30 March 1896 to 23 September 1896.

2- China War Medal 1900 - Sowar Jamal Khan, 1st Bombay Lancers

They were not regimentally present in China but small detachments were sent to reinforce other units.

3- Africa General Service Medal, 1902-1956, Edward VII issue - SOMALILAND 1902-04 - Sowar Jamal Khan, 1st Bombay Lancers

They were not regimentally present in Somaliland but small detachments were sent to reinforce other units.

4- Egypt: Khedive's Sudan Medal, 1896-1908 - Sowar Jamal Khan, 1st Bombay Lancers

78 Jemadar Abdur Rahman Khan, Jeypore Imperial Service Transport Corps

1- Delhi Durbar 1903, silver - unnamed

Shown in the roll for the Delhi Durbar 1903 medal (p. 90) as "Abdul Rahman Khan, Duffadar - Jaipur Imperial Service Transport Corps". The silver medal was awarded some 2567 times.

2- Delhi Durbar 1911, silver - unnamed

Shown in the ISF roll for the Delhi Durbar 1911 medal (p. 161) as "78 Jemadar Abdur Rahman Khan", Jaipur Imperial Service Transport Corps. The silver medal was awarded some 30,000 times.

3- India Medal, 1895-1902, Victoria - RELIEF OF CHITRAL 1895, PUNJAB FRONTIER 1897-98, SAMANA 1897, TIRAH 1897-98 - 78 Jamdr. Abdur Rahman Khan. Jeypore I.S.T. Corps

This was the unit's first imperial service.

Guest Rick Research

The group in post #32, with SIX campaigns in TEN years on two medals, just brings home what frontier action meant in shoe leather alone in those days!

• 1 month later...

947 Sepoy Gurdit Singh, 36th Sikh Infantry

1- The India Medal, 1895 - Victoria - 947 SEPOY GURDIT SINGH 36 SIKHS

2- Africa General Service Medal - Edward VII - B. C. A. 1899-1900 - 947 SEPOY GURDITT SINGH. 36th SIKH INFTY."

1243 Sowar Murlidhar, 1st Bombay Lancers

1- India General Service Medal, 1854-95 - BURMA 1885-7, BURMA 1887-89 - 1243 Sowar Murlidhar 1st Bo. Lcrs.

The regiment's first overseas service was in summer 1878, when they were sent to sent to Malta and Cyprus. Their second overseas for service was in Burma, from 1885

2- Queen's Sudan Medal, 1896-99 - 1243 SOWAR MURLIDHAR. 1/ BOM: LAN:

Engraved in sloping capitals. Gaylor: "Their third spell of [operational] service abroad was a brief stay at Suakin on the Red Sea in 1896 when, as the 1st Bombay Lancers -- in consequence of the issue of the lance -- they formed part of a mixed cavalry brigade sent out from India." Service in Brigadier-General Egerton's force at Suakin, 30 March 1896 to 23 September 1896.

3- Egypt: Khedive's Sudan Medal, 1896-1908 - 1243 Sowar Murlidhar 1st Bo: Lcrs.

Ed,

Just an appreciative comment from someone who knows next to nothing about these items. Please don't get the impression that a lack of comments means that no one else is interested, but I want to avoid just making "WOW" remarks on every thread I see.

Please show us more as you find the time.

Many thanks,

David

• 2 months later...

Lieutenant-Colonel Barkat Khan, Bahadur, Maler Kotla Sappers and Miners

A puzzling group. Which ones aren't?!

1- Order of British India, 2nd class -- not his, but shown here representationally -- 17 August 1917 for Mesopotamia to Major Barkat Khan, 1st Company Maler Kotla Sappers and Miners (ISF List 1 Jan 1918, p. 64b)

2- India Medal, 1895 - clasps Punjab-NWF, Samana, Tirah -- missing, but shown in war services section of ISF List 1 Jan 1918, p. 72 -- anyone have it???

3- China 1900 -- "51 Havildar Barkat Khan, Malerkotla I. S. Sappers"

4- British War Medal -- "MAJ BARKAT KHAN, MALERKOTLA I. S. SPRS."

5- Allied Victory Medal -- unnamed, but it came with the group -- restoration? -- he was not mentioned in despatches

6- Durbar 1911 -- unnamed -- not on roll, but shown as qualified in ISF List 1 Jan 1918, p. 81 -- self-awarded?

7- Jubilee 1935 -- unnamed -- shown on roll (p. 62) as "Major Barkat Khan, O.B.I., late of tha Malerkotla State Forces"

Shown in ISF List 1 Jan 1918, p. 50 as

Lieutenant-Colonel Barkat Khan

Commandant, 2nd Reserve Company, Maler Kotla Imperial Service Sappers

Entered service 6 June 1891

Appointed to the corps 6 September 1891

Present Appointment 1 April 1917

Order of British India, 2nd class

His war services and other medal entitlements are as shown above

Head and McClenaghan, vol. V, pt. II, add some to to this.

Is he probbaly not missing a 1914-15 Star, as he seems to have been sent out to Mesopotamia only in Februarty 1916 with a draft of reinforcements. The group would be missing the IGS 95 and "his" Victory Medal. Likely not missing an IGS08 for Afghanistan, as only the 1st company seems to have been deployed.

Sardar Bahadur Sardar Rasul Baksh Khan Mengal, Sardar of the Sahezai Mengal Tribe, Baluchistan

1- Sardar Bahadur, George VI -- "Khan Bahadur Rasul Bakhsh Khan Mengal 1st Jany 1924" (ribbon incorrect, but "close")

Not. No. 12-H of 1 January 1942: "Khan Bahadur Rasul Baksh Khan Mengal, Sardar of teh Mengal Tribe, Baluchistan"

PSV 53(2)-H/1941

Sardar Bahadur ? 12-H 1 January 1942

Khan Bahadur Rasul Bakhsh Khan Mengal, Sardar of the Mengal Tribe, Baluchistan

Khan Bahadur Sardar Rasul Bakhsh Khan is at present the most important Sardar in the Jhalawan area of Kalat State, the Zarakzai chief being a minor. His cooperation has been of great value in maintaining peace among the notoriously turbulent Mengal tribe, and he has also done good work in effecting the arrest of numerous tribesmen suspected of dacoity in the neighbouring Sind area. Created a Khan Bahadur in January 1934, his promotion to Sardar Bahadur is well merited and would have a useful political effect. This promotion is strongly recommended by H.H. the Khan of Kalat.

2- Khan Bahadur, George V, 2nd type -- "Khan Sahib Sardar Rasul Bahhsh Mengal 1st Jany 1934"

Not. No. 15-H of 1 January 1934: "Khan Sahib Sardar Rasul Bakhsh Mengal, Sardar of the Shahezai Mengal tribe, Baluchistan"

F&P 44(2)-H/1933

Khan Bahadur ? 15-H 1 January 1934

Khan Sahib SardarRasul Bakhsh Mengal, Sardar of the Shahezai Nengal tribe, Baluchistan

Though this Sardar was suspected of fomenting trouble in Jhalawan in 1930, it is now generally admitted that the charges were baseless and that the Sardar was the victim of an intrigue. He has since proved his undoubted loyalty to Government and has managed his tribe with great success. The grant of the title of Khan Bahadur would be very well received throughout the Kalat State and by His Highness the Khan of Kalat, and would be a sign that the unmerited disgrace suffered by the Sardar has been wiped out. He was made a Khan Sahib in March 1929 and has not been recommended for any other honour in the next Honours List.

3- Khan Sahib, ??? -- missing in action

F&P55(2)-H1928

Khan Sahib 96-H 1 March 1929

Sardar Rasul Bakhsh , Sardar of the Mengal Tribe in Baluchistan

Rasul Bakhsh succeeded to the Sardarship of the Mengal tribe as a minor. For nearly five years he has had full powers as Sardar, and though at first he shirked responsibility, has greatly improved and shown that he is willing and able to take his place as Sardar of an unruly and difficult tribe. His loyalty is undoubted and as he is the second chief in Jhalawan, the bestowal of this title would be well received. He gave evidence of real energy and influence, when recently assisting in the arrest of a fanatical preacher, whose activities were likely to cause serious disturbance in Jhalawan.

An interesting group with a very scarce Sardar Bahadur (awarded to almost no one except the South Asian odd couple of Sikhs and Baluchis!). The context of the recommendations may sound familiar in contemporary terms?

• 4 months later...

Captain Thakur Karam Singh, Malerkotla

A nice mounted-as-worn (and cased, nicely fitted, from Hamilton) group from the latest medal-yatra.

1- Durbar 1911 - named "3. CAPTAIN THAKUR KARAMSINGH TEHRIGARHWAL"

2- Jubilee 1935 - unnamed

3- Coronation 1937 - unnamed

Research underway.

Ed! Super medals indeed! thanks for showing!

Are all these medals yours? wow! you must have a super duper collection!

just an aside...did you find anything on that Pir Baksh of the 5th Punjabi regiment???

The one that Sam Moss asked you about...its coming to reside in my collection...Yay!

Thanks!

cheers

Paul