News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An Austro-Hunagrian nurse

Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

Wow. Where to start?

British style cap?

Red Cross Medal RIBBON BAR? :love::love::love:

"Armeeschwester" secondary armband all but obscuring the Geneva Convention version (though her insignia are obvious enough).

The worst part is that I KNOW that we have seen this badge, in full glorious living color, posted HERE someplace before, probably in one of those unsearchable "what is this?" threads. Habsburg eagle with Red Cross on chest....

AGHH!!!!

The badge is the Militar?rtze-u. Sanit?ter Dienstabzeichen. There are two distinct types; an Austrian version (at least three different finishes) and a Hungarian version.

The badge measures approx 59mm x 45mm

I have seen a few photos showing the badge being worn on either the left breast pocket or above the left breast pocket.

Regards,

Ian

Wow. Where to start?

British style cap?

Red Cross Medal RIBBON BAR? :love::love::love:

"Armeeschwester" secondary armband all but obscuring the Geneva Convention version (though her insignia are obvious enough).

The worst part is that I KNOW that we have seen this badge, in full glorious living color, posted HERE someplace before, probably in one of those unsearchable "what is this?" threads. Habsburg eagle with Red Cross on chest....

AGHH!!!!

Edited by Ian

On the other hand, maybe Austrian uniforms were specially tailored to downplay curves? It is possible that they did that to prevent trouble between make and female people in uniform. Have seen many US army servicewomen that look like they were bags of potatoes under their cammies and I am sure that is not the case.

Now.... FRENCH female soldies in uniform... o lala!!!!

Is the badge you are refering to in this lot? Possibly towards the left hand side, on its side with a red border?

On a nother question. I saw a pin back gold red cross badge lately, and unfortunately on that day of all days I left my camera at home!!! that was Austrian and marked to a Wein maker on the back. It had a white enamelled oval body with a Red Cross in the centre. On top of the oval was rather large crown. Sound familiar to any one and if it does, what are they worth?

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Hi,

My two cents worth: The badge towards the left hand side of the photo appears to be a 1st/2nd Austrian Republic badge (check out the chains on the eagles legs and only a single eagles head is visible).

The Hungarian version of the Militar?rtze-u. Sanit?ter Dienstabzeichen is on the bottom right of the photo.

As too what they are worth; I paid approx Euros 70 each for my Austrian and Hungrians versions.

Regards,

Ian

Gordon,

The badge you described in your earlier comment 'white enameled oval body with a Red Cross in the centre. On top of the oval was rather large crown'; sounds very much like a Schwesterns (Sisters) badge. Both sides of the dual monarchy utilised these Schwestern badges (the crown will tell you which part of the monarchy), but I am unsure on the significance of the 'Militar?rtze-u. Sanit?ter' and the 'Schwestern' badges (what organisations used them and for what reason). Hopefully some knowledgably person will set us straight.

Regards,

Ian

I know exactly what the badge is. It is an enameled badge with the Austro-Hungarian eacle with a shield and red cross on its chest. I have this badge from my Grandmother who was an Austro-Hungarian nurse in WW1. I will try to make some pictures this weekend. I can also affirm that the uniforms of the nurses were less than flattering to the figure. Probably as stated to prevent any "lust" from the troops. I have some shots of my grandmother wearing an identical tunic and heavy plain skirt. The hat is also identical and I was fortunate enough that she had saved it all these years and passed it down to me. I'll see if I can't get some scans and pictures to add to this thread.

Richard V

Here is a photo of my grandmother's awards/badges with a photo that I have mounted in a shadow box frame. Sadly it would take an act of congress to get at the badge as the reverse of the frame is sealed shut. Sorry for the quality of the photo as it was shot through the glass. You can see the badge in question in the lower right hand side. I have no photos of her wearing the badge. It is a rather large enameled badge. The round badge worn at the neck seems to have been much more frequently worn with the uniform as the other photos I will add will show. As these are heavily enameled they were easily damaged in day to day wear. My grandmothers round badge shows a distinct bit of missing enamel and crack that can also be seen in the photos when I look at them under magnification. Also note the uniform. Thick wool tunic. My grandmother had a rather large bosom and it is pretty well obscured in this tunic like in the first picture posted in this thread. I think the powers that be were trying to ensure that temptation was as far removed from the front lines as it could possibly be.

Richard V

Edited by Richard V