News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hermann Historica has done it again. What "it" is I'm not exactly sure. As usual, only oral provenance, and with an uncommon but common looking soldered plaque which possibly means the silver was too thin in 1918 for engraving.

Wolfgang H. sez it belonged to Lt. Georg Wolff who must have been quite a favourite with the family, but there is nothing in writing as with the MvR items in the last auction. Given the date I wonder of Manfred ever saw this, or if he was called to HQ for this goblet and then again a few days later for his Red Eagle? Interesting, but suspiciously not the usual quality of a Kaiserpreis. But if you've got 20,000+ Euros burning a hole somewhere and don't look tooooooo closely....! speechless1.gif

Rgds

John

A towering 16.34 inches! (41.5 cm)

user posted image

user posted image

P.S. Years ago I saw the cased fire-gilt damascened letter opener given to Goering by the Kaiser after he took over the squadron from MvR. It was far superior to this cup in design and execution...

Thank you, Mr. Moderator! Since you and Rick left its been like Death Valley Days over in the `Drome waiting for someone to post! sleep.gif Unless I screwed up there's already an Aerowallah, Fliegerwallah, & Luftwallah registered over here. I can't wait to meet my namesakes. Maybe they dwell in Naziland.

Edited by Luftmensch

speechless1.gifspeechless1.gifspeechless1.gifspeechless1.gifspeechless1.gif

No, no, no, no! Not for me! It would have to be documented up the kazoo to even consider it. I just posted this in case one of you recognized it as a chalice from your local church or a gift from Aunt Edna. Maybe with the silver shortage the Kaiser had to recycle something from the palace. Maybe the plaque covers over another inscription like

Zu Wilhelm f?r hervorragende Dienste als Messknaben

Rgds

John

Edited by Luftmensch