News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A simple question to ask

I've tried to sort out all of the discusions about the S&L RK debates that are raging elsewhere and find it vexing, the more I read the less I understand.

Here is a heavily flawed S&L RK with a non-iron core, brass perhaps?

My question is: Is this post-war?

Hi Coastie,

it's really not that tough - at least to come to a well founded opinion.

This cross is in my opinion a post war production. Why? Because the frame is not marked (I guess), the core is non-magnetic and the flaw pattern is extensive and not congruent with the flaw pattern of the A-Type (which is pre-45).

So you have a B-Type cross which is completely against the regulations which were in place when the B-Type came out first with the 935-4 model. Those regulations were iron core and silver frame which is the case with the 935-4 and 800-4.

I bet that the cross has the dent row on the lower portion of the 3 o'clock arm. I can't see it but I'm convinced.

regards,

Dietrich

Hi Coastie,

This cross is in my opinion a post war production. Why? Because the frame is not marked (I guess), the core is non-magnetic and the flaw pattern is extensive and not congruent with the flaw pattern of the A-Type (which is pre-45).

So you have a B-Type cross which is completely against the regulations which were in place when the B-Type came out first with the 935-4 model. Those regulations were iron core and silver frame which is the case with the 935-4 and 800-4.

I bet that the cross has the dent row on the lower portion of the 3 o'clock arm. I can't see it but I'm convinced.

regards,

Dietrich

No dent row that I can see. Next question: were these post war frames rhodium plated and frosted?

No dent row that I can see. Next question: were these post war frames rhodium plated and frosted?

Please have a better picture availabel - I'm nearly convinced there's a dent row!

So far of all the tested RK's onlt one (K&Q) had traces of Rhodium -so I can't tell. Frosted in the sense of the 'painted' frosting: yes. Look at the 935's!

Dietrich

Please have a better picture availabel - I'm nearly convinced there's a dent row!

So far of all the tested RK's onlt one (K&Q) had traces of Rhodium -so I can't tell. Frosted in the sense of the 'painted' frosting: yes. Look at the 935's!

Dietrich

I will try to get better pictures. I'm getting more curious, this defintely has the chemical fosting and it to me appears to have the rhodium plating. What were the cores made of that you have encountered?

How can you tell if something has rhodium plating by observation? From the flawing, "B" type cross, unmarked frame, and non-ferrous core, this is a post war cross. Is the interest in this piece to help characterize features of a post war cross?

How can you tell if something has rhodium plating by observation? From the flawing, "B" type cross, unmarked frame, and non-ferrous core, this is a post war cross. Is the interest in this piece to help characterize features of a post war cross?

When I got it some of the plating was flaking off. I don't think it is silver plating.

I'm more or less looking for opinions: is it/or not a Post war piece, if so how old.

It would be hard to tell how old this piece is. I do not think that can be accurately determined. Given that it is a heavily flawed "B" type cross, I would guess that it is post 1957, as there are '57 crosses with "B" type frames with less flawing. However, when it is was made is probably irrelevant, as it appears to be post war.

Hi Coastie,

regards,

Dietrich

Dietrich here is a close up of the 3o'clock arm

coastie-

Take a look for yourself at your piece with a loop. If there are flaws between the 9 and 12 oclock arms, and to a lesser extent the 12 and 3 oclock arms, then this is probably an "A" cross. If there is flawing between 9 and 6 oclock arms and a dent row, it is a "B" type cross. These flaws should be readily apparent with a loop.