News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BEM (Civil) to an Arab Recipient

Gentlemen,

Recently here in Riyadh I was able to purchase a BEM EIIR (Civil) in its case of issue named in impressed capitals to ABDUL KERIM MOURSI ABOU SHOUK. I have endeavoured to trace this in the on line London Gazette but with no success to date. Would I be correct in assuming that as it is named that it would be officially recorded and probably in the Diplomatic/Overseas list of the New Year or Birthday honours?

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Owain Raw-Rees.

Interesting, Owain.

As you know, searching the online LG is very much a hit and miss operation, even when oddities of transliteration of Arab names are not in play. Usually (whatever that means) the award will be gazetted in the same way as the medal is named.

I found, in Delhi of all places, a GVI BEM to 'Ibrehim Kawas Mohammad'.

With searching and researching, this turned out to be to Mohammad Ibrehim Kawas - Surveyor, Department of Surveys Palestine awarded BEM LG 12 June 1941 (page 3301).

If it had been an Indian BEM, recommendations would usually exist in Delhi, but being a Palestine award, it seems a dead end. These are usually long service awards though, good-boy pats on the head.

Ed,

Yes, I suppose that I will just have to persevere. I have though had success with two other BEMs - both QEII Military and for Meritorious Service, sourced in Aden and Sana'a respectively:

6531 A/WO II ABDULLA YESLAM SAIDI FRA (Federal Regular Army)- LG 2 June 1962 p.4333.

345 WAQUEEL SAEED MIHSIN TRUCIAL OMAN SCOUTS (Warrant Officer) - LG 31 May 1956 p.3128.

(Plus GSM clasp "Arabian Peninsula" to MUL.1. SAID MUHSIN B.E.M. T.O.S. (First Lieutenant))

Your remarks about spelling/transliteratiion are clearly seen with this pair!

The latter pair is unique being the only BEM issued to the TOS.

Regards,

Owain

Edited by oamotme

Hi Owain,

Unfortunately naming does not mean that it is gazetted - Honorary Awards were not Gazetted but were named. The Registrar of the Order at the Central Chancerymay give you his award date, even if not gazetted

In case you are unaware there should be a recommendation for the award to Mishin in WO373/164 and to Saidi in WO373/169 both in the National Archives, Kew.

Regards

Ralph

Ralph,

Many thanks indeed - good information which I will follow up. Again many thanks. With regard to Mihsin/Muhsin I am trying to get further information from the United Arab Emirates Department of Military History and Museums - currently a fledgling organisation and willing to assist but to date no success.

Regards,

Owain