News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ships , anyone?

The trouble with brass is that you ave to polish it!  I've just reclaimed a 'seaman's chest' - a large mahogany chest with two drawers, meant for storing clothes.  Not really for a seaman, of course, because it's too large and there is no provision for keeping the drawers from sliding open in rough weather, but the style is very nautical.  The 'down side' are the two large brass bands around it, which would I'm sure look fabulous for a week or two after I polished them, beofre returning to their present dull and discolored state.

If I had a maid, of course, that would be a different story, but every time I suggest that my wife put on the lovely little 'French maid' outfit I bought her, she hits me! ;)

• Replies 158
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hello Jock.

Nice piece made by a well regarded manufacturing company , KPM ( established by King Fredrick II or also called the Great ) for the HAPAG shipping company which operated a number of KDF liners.

The DAF under Dr. Ley did indeed establish the KdF ( Kraft durch Freude or Strength through Joy ) and directed its activities.

Bernhard H. Holst

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 years later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

The Mercator finally home.

(the port of attach for that ship is in fact Antwerp, but it can be seen and visited in Ostend, for many years, and a (heavy)discussion between the two towns started since...) 

This one is 75 by 120 cm.

rimg1911.jpg
    rimg1912.jpg
    rimg1915.jpg
    rimg1913.jpg
    rimg1916.jpg

• 1 month later...