News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of October Revolution, fake or not!

Dear Paul,

more than 110.000 had been awarded and some more produced.

I meant, that s/n. 66987 is rather low for a version 2 of the "Octoberrevolution".

Best regards :beer:

Christian

So is this a version 2 as well(SN 63987)? Also, when did they start awarding this variation? Last question(for now) what type of deeds had to be done to be awarded this Order? I do know that it was only allowed to be awarded once, but I am uncertain of the criteria.

Dear Paul,

yes, you have a version 2 - the distinction are the 3 rivets at the rv. for fixing the hammer & sickle.

Version 1 had only two rivets.

I don't know, when they added the 3rd rivet :unsure: .

I have one version 1 with the s/n. 24318 in my collection.

The "Octoberrevolution" had been are more or less pure "political" order for members of the party - also awarded to communist leaders abroad - and after the "Lenin" the second highest order in the CCCP.

There had been some (rare) cases of some top-communists, who got 2 "Octoberrevolutions" - one from the Union and one from the Republic. Anyhow, that was against the regulations and not untypical for the Brezhnev-Era ;) .

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

So this Order was mainly for highest level members within the party?

Dear Paul,

this might be true only for the very first years, that only highest level party members received that order, but during the late Brezhnev-years and the 1980s + 1990/91 it seems, that there had been a growing inflation in awarding (as with most of the CCCP-orders).

In 1986, the communist party in the CCCP had over 19 million members or approximately 10% of the adult population.

So, I guess, that the "Octoberrevolution" had been an order for higher level party members.

Christian

Dear Christophe,

dear Andreas,

many thanks for the informations concerning the change in rivets :cheers: .

So, Paul's "Octoberrevolution" version 2 is very close to the change in rivets 4 to 5, that means, a very early version 2.

I know one group, it is posted here, where the order was awarded to a normal worker.

That doesn't mean, that the normal worker hadn't been a "higher" member of the Communist Party. There were quite a few workers in leading functions at local party commitees or even in the Supreme Soviet.

The composition of the Soviet communist party was a bit different to parties in the Western World - the working class was represented.

In my understanding of Soviet history & phaleristics the "Octoberrevolution" had been THE order of the communist party.

Christian

That is intresting because my Type two number 61003 was awarded on the 12 December 1973 according to its order book :unsure:

Dear Vic,

really strange :unsure: ?

According to s/n. Lingqi's order should have been awarded about 1975 ...

Can you show a scan of your order book to us :love: .

Christian

BTW: Kuzenko lists s/n. 44936 at 30th of may 1974 ...

"Order of the October Revolution" s/n. & awarding dates

Gentlemen,

from Kuzenko's book his list (+ 3 additions):

s/n. & date

12 - 22.02.1968

26 - 25.10.1968

145 - 30.10.1970

1501 - 05.04.1971

1851 - 08.04.1971

2015 - 17.04.1973

11014 - 26. 04.1971 (in Ed Haynes' collection)

44936 - 30.05.1974

61003 - 12.12.1973 (in Vic's collection)

63908 - XX.XX.1973 (in Ed Haynes' collection)

80185 - 24.12.1976

95927 - 30.12.1990

We can dedect an radical inflation of awarding that order in the period of about mid of 1973 to end of 1976 :jumping: .

What might have been the reasons :unsure: ?

Contrary to Lenin, RBL or FoN the "October Revolution" was relativly moderate awarded in the 1980s and 1990/91.

The first two "October Revolutions" had been confered at the 4th of october 1967 to the Hero-Cities of Moscow and Leningrad.

At least four comrades got 2 "October Revolutions" (violating the regulations); one of them had been comrade Brezhnev, who received the s/n. 58256 and s/n. 87064.

Above listed s/n. 12 went most likely to the Cruiser "Aurora" <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cruiser_Aurora" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cruiser_Aurora</a> . The ship is part of the medallion of the order.

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Great stuff Christian! :cheers:

Dear Paul,

many thanks - I am still working on the subject :cheers: .

It seems to be a mistery, why in the mid of the 1970s tenthousends of "October Revolutions" had been awarded :unsure: .

In the first years (after the 50th anniversary of the revolution) and in the 1980s till the end of the CCCP this order had been rather scarcely confered.

Maybe there had been a rather similar case with the "Motherland 3cl": At the 8th of may 1975, the 30th anniversary of victory in the GPW, a large number of the veterans (officers), who also served after the war in the Soviet Forces, received the "Motherland 3cl". Till the beginning of 1981 there had been almost 50.000 soldiers awarded with that order (including non-GPW-veterans & officers in Afghanistan).

Christian

Dear Vic,

really strange :unsure: ?

According to s/n. Lingqi's order should have been awarded about 1975 ...

Can you show a scan of your order book to us :love: .

Christian

BTW: Kuzenko lists s/n. 44936 at 30th of may 1974 ...

Hi Christian,

Here is a scan of my order book, I am not sure how well this has worked because I have done this on my new scanner :unsure:

BTW we building up a great picture here of when these were awarded :jumping:

Order of Victory

Edited by order_of_victory

• 10 years later...

I think that it can be a really good reproduction (or bad photos).  The details on the Aurora are not what I expect to see.  What are the thoughts of others?

Also, is there a four rivet variation?