News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Well Pete, all good things come to a end. Although I heard / read Tieste is working on new edition of his catalogues, a lot of the prices in the current books are hopelessly outdated. He does seem to me at least, to have more interest in cataloguing tinnies and getting them into his books, regarding pricing them up is a secondary function for him and he doesn't put so much effort in this side of the book.

• Replies 291
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes Alec, 6-7 years old now. so I guess they are out of date. Three volumes next time? I hope they are bound better, the covers are falling off mine!

Hopefully it will also remove that "It must be rare, it not in his catalog" pricing ploy. (but not for the ones I have ;) )

Pete

Edited by Wood

• 5 months later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 3 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Württemberg-Hohenzollern KdF1935 fahrt Oberbayern ------- although Tieste's catalogue shows 4x KdF Wütrttember-Hohenzollern 1935 badges -- this isn't one of them (at least in my catalogue) any member seen it before ?

Edited by AlecH

Hello Burgerhaus,

Sorry the picture is a bit dark, here's another shot - a lighter shot (still not the best I've ever done) depicts, I take to be a KdF's trip to the Oberbayern Alps with the sun, rising above the mountain peaks.

Edited by AlecH

• 1 month later...
    • 4 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 1 year later...
    On 30-7-2006 at 03:06, BURGERHAUS said:

Pete A little about The Monte Olivia. "In May 1934 as soon as the weather permitted, KdF initiated its cruise program by sending the steamships Dresden and Monte Olivia from Bremerhaven to the North Sea island of Helgoland. The ships, filled with well-dressed and allegedly awestruck workers at sea for the first time in their lives, sailed through the Straits of Dover to the English Channel and Isle of Wight before returning to their port of disembarkation." Page 135 STRENGTH THROUGH JOY

I can post a photo of the steamer (chartered from the Hamburg-South America line) if I have enough file space. I need to devote less time to reading and more time enhancing my computer skills. Robert :speechless1:

On 7-11-2012 at 03:33, Wood said:

Monte Olivia.

KdF-Monte-Olivia-1934.jpg

I like items that belong together, items that form a slice of history. This is such a slice, a rather nice one at that. Here's the pin-back version of the stick-pin shown by Wood, above. The pin belongs to a postcard and a menu card from 1934. The group can be traced to the very day; may 27, 1934. One postcard shows the Monte Olivia (3rd picture), and it also shows the date that it was signed and sent on at the back (4th picture). Another postcard shows part of the 1934 crew of the Monte Olivia, and a menu card shows what the person(s) that sent the postcards ate on board of the Monte Olivia. The fifth voyage of 1934. I used another group of cards as decoration; consecutive menu cards from the same year and the same vessel, but from another voyage (the 9th).

MonteOlivia1_small.jpg

MonteOlivia2_small.jpg

MonteOlivia3_small.jpg

MonteOlivia4_small.jpg

MonteOlivia5_small.jpg

Most of you know of the KdF organisation. Some of you probably know what that organisation actually did, and what it stood for. One of the ships of the KdF fleet was the Monte Olivia. Shipping Company "Hamburg-Südamerikanische Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft" finished building the ship in 1924. The ship was a steamer, its maiden voyage was in April 1925. Until it was confiscated by KdF it was used as a cruiser. The Dresden (Norddeutschen Lloyd) and the Monte Olivia were the first two ships that serviced the KdF as of 1934.

The Monte Olivia made trips around the British isles, the Baltic Sea, and to Norway and back to Germany. For those of you that don't understand the significance of this; KdF was the organisation that sprouted mass-tourism as you know it today. When the war really started to rage, the Monte Olivia was used as a depot ship for the cruiser Nürnberg. Battle-cruiser-buffs will enjoy this. As of 1944 the duties of the ship started to be more more salving. It was converted by the Kriegsmarine, and late in 1944 the ship was used as hospital ship. It was used heavily to evacuate Germans from the annexed Polish areas. It was used as such until the RAF wrecked the ship on April the 3rd, 1945. From June 1946 until 1948 the wreckage was deconstructed.

The design of the pin resembles the design of a couple of other pins that probably were made by the same maker. I saw one or two in this topic already. The last picture below shows another one of those variations. The pin is for an Allgäufahrt. Those trips were at the outback of Germany, so a different range of vessels applied for those trips.

Allgäu_small.jpg