News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Building the perfect medal bar....

Chris Boonzaier

These were easy to mount with some pins on a blue cloth as the bar was not too long.

By three it becomes a problem..... which I had when we got the Saudi medal.

We got it on the monday.... on the Tuesday we had Guard.....

Now, normally you would go tho the Regt tailor and get these things done.... but there was no time... so I mounted it myself.... order was...overseas medal, defense national and Saudi clunker...

I took a blue legion shoulder board, cut it up for the cloth, took a green piece of plastic to stiffen it, sewed the hooks on .... and this was the result....

And thats where it stopped with me.

Some time later J.C. our Legion Condor host used his connections to get the Legion to move their a?? and issue me the Kuwaiti medal. This had been given out after I left and I had not received it. I was having trouble getting it as for some reason my records said I HAD gotten it.

There must have been an admin error as I was given the document and medal for the 4th class instead of the 5th class.

Lucky me :-)

Nice bar! Only thing is that in X years time, when this bar may have changed hands (godwilling not!!!), could it be that some collectors may be yelling out that its a "possible" but "fakely put together" medal bar for its lack of "fine tailoring" (not mocking a legionairre's sewing skills bien sur!!), as is so often done with German and Imperial medals. Possible scenario no - or will most medal bars be of similar quality?

Jim :cheers:

It still did not move me to get anything done.

To be honest, I was miffed.

Childish, but true.

I was miffed because I had applied for and not gotten the "Croix de combattant", the reason being, the army had not worked through the records to see which units were considered "Combattant".

It is a complicated process. First off, the govt has to approve certain actions as "Combat", this does not include all operations where there is shooting. Secondly, not all units in the zone are considered combattant, this is decided when the units diaries have been delivered to the army historical section who then goes through the histories to count up the amount of actions.

This is unfair to the guys in support units as they may be in the same zone but not considered to get it.

Anyway, a few days ago I called up the department to see what was what as I had been told that the records were now finished. At long last the woman told me "A-OK" and that now I would get it, just a question of finishing the paperwork.

For me it is "The" medal I wanted....

I did this as I like the idea of

1) It was worn by someone before me

2) I would be giving it a new lease of life

3) The medal has not changed over the years but the old ones have a bronze patina and the new ones have a horrible gold finish.

The finish is just the way modern makers make them and has nothing to do with the statutes.... here isa new one....

Anyway..... I want to leave my servicetime bar as it is.... so I need to rebuild a new one.... from scratch....

It will take time, and I will show the results here....

I know some will consider me a heretic, but if the bar is to win a place in my heart.... it has to look just "Right".

So, we have one old Croix du combattant issued to a Moroccan serviceman....

Next up is the overseas medal.

Should I take the pot metal silvered one on the left (modern day issue) or go with the old real silver one that came from a market in Morocco on the right?

There is of course a catch.........

Does anyone know what the difference is?

Nice bar! Only thing is that in X years time, when this bar may have changed hands (godwilling not!!!), could it be that some collectors may be yelling out that its a "possible" but "fakely put together" medal bar for its lack of "fine tailoring" (not mocking a legionairre's sewing skills bien sur!!), as is so often done with German and Imperial medals. Possible scenario no - or will most medal bars be of similar quality?

Hi,

I am the only one I know of that had the handyman attitude :-)

Makes it one of a kind then! ;)

I'd have posted a different comment at a later stage had I known you would keep on posting more of your awards ... the comment being... Do you consider mounting them professionally as a complete group?

Again, Well done indeed on your awards.

Hi,

there is no knights cross in there... mine were gained with more sweat than blood...

In fact, even though wounded with a bayonet I never got a wound badge... go figure... ;-)

As I continue to build I will post here....

Next one I am concentrating on is.... can the horrible chrome on the Saudi medal be changed to silver... or at east silver plated..... I shall check out both possibilities.....

Guest Rick Research

Just make sure you have a photograph-- a real PRINTED photograph not some online thing the technology for which will have become extinct in 10 years--of YOU actually WEARING it, and sign and date it.

The kiddo should still be around in 2075 or so, and with any luck you can get in a 3-generations portrait along the way and keep things documented into the NEXT century. :catjava:

I like the idea of continuing onward with those old awards. It's like the Bavarian and Saxon Orders handed out in the Napoleonic wars, recycled through 1866-70 recipients, and then issued back out of stores in 1914/15. :cheers:

Hello Chris

This is a fine story in so many episodes. I am glad you qualified for the Croix de combattant... You will certainly have obtained the "Carte du Combattant" which truly is the "Certificate" and permission to wear. If you have not, I would suggest that you apply with the Office National du Combattant responsable for your residence. I fully agree with you : the modern issue of the cross is an abomination i and support your decision to use a properly bronzed older stricking, which is ever so much better. Nothing wrong that, you can choose one variety or tho other, they are the same award.

Since you were an "engag? volontaire" as all legionnaires are, the combination should allow you to receive the Croix du combattant volontaire with clasp for the theater where you earned the Croix du Combattant. This is a decoration, a "titre de guerre" on par with a citation. You will have to apply and if you qualifiy, you will receive a numbered and named "brevet". The award will also be published in the "Bulletin officiel des d?corations, m?dailles et r?compenses" published by the Journal Officiel. Keep us posted. When you get it, you will have to give it number one position on your ribbon bar and set of medals.

You cannot wear a M?daille coloniale.

That award was obsolete even before you were born. If you want to be "r?glementaire" as you certainly were trained to be with the Legion (or things there must have changed a lot since my time), you wear what you are entitled to. Naturally you will be the only one to know, since you will be showing only the obverse, which is identical..... BUT YOU WILL KNOW !

This being said, the older strickings of the Medaille d'Outre-Mer by the Paris Mint look just as good as the previous M?daille coloniale of post-WW2 manufacture. I don't know what the current strickings look like, but I bought one of the very first for my collection, and it is Mint hallmarked for the finest silver alloy they ever used (cornucoppia - 1 - cornucoppia). It is perfect. As you know, a lot of cheaper issues float about. I certainly would stay away from them if I were in your shoes.

If you dislike the medal you saw, I am sure you can find a proper one the same way you found the Croix du combattant.

I have told you my mind, for what it is worth. As an "grand Ancien" should when a younger "Ancien" asks. I certainly enjoy reading your excellent posts and sharing our common taste for medal collecting.

Et Vive la L?gion, N.. de D... !

Veteran

Hi Vet,

What are the chances of finding an early OM? I will give it a shot on the French forum.

Indeed, it is the card of the CC I telephoned for. The woman actually put me on hold for 10 minutes to go look for my dossier. She came back with an "Ooooops... we forgot that one... and said they have to send it to be signed. But that takes time as the authority only does it at specail periods. When that finally arrives the Croix d combattant goes into my frame. I have never worn medals since 1994 so I want to get them mounted for framing.

The Croix du combattant volontaire is a no go for me. As the Legion are volunteers it seems logical that I may apply... but I have read that for the 4eme Generation au Feu that they have made it only for national servicemen who specifically volunteer for an operation as opposed to volunteer soldiers who are sent to an operation. A silly difference but one I will live with.

Best

Chris