News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This is my only remaining WW2 group... it is simply "The best" from the point of view of someone who likes to research his groups as it covers almost every theater and is always right in the middle of the action.

I have had knights cross groups to guys who were somewhere in the mass, little chance of research.... but this group blows everything away.

Just Google 2nd panzer division and you will see how much can be found just an "Enter" Button away.

Here is our man....

The Division then fought in Serbia and in Greece. I think there was a 2nd wound there as there is a book called "Von Serbien bis Kreta" with a letter from his company telling his wife to inform him it had been sent.

Then our man goes on to play hero... saving a child from drowning while risking his own life.

A real documented life saving award if supremely, extremely rare...

Although the division missed the start of the Russian campaign they more than made up for it in the chase for Moscow where the Division was the one who was right on the outskirts... Our mans unit was right on the point of the division and could already see the Kremlin.... so first to the channel... and first to moscow.... so he got this....

A lot of fighting between there and mid 1944 when our man and his division are fighting in Normandy... the German counteroffensive Operation L?ttich takes place with SS panzers and the Panzerlehr and the 2nd panzer Division.... the 2nd Panzer makes the most gains...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_L%C3%BCttich

Then into the Falaise Pocket where the Divsion was almost totally wiped out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falaise_pocket

Our man survived and was awarded his ccbt badge...

I seem to remember waaay back that I managed to place his Regt as the one that fought the "Band of Brothers" unit at ... I think it was Foy, there they advanced out of the woods, towards a farmhouse.

Anyway.... the Division was the one that made the furtherest advance in the battle of the bulge. the 2nd Panzer was also the panzer division that was most highly rated by US and British intel.

I am not sure when he was captured but when he was, sometime in 1945, it seems all the awards he had with him were souveniered by the GIs (The division was captured by the Americans)

All that was left were the things not needed at the front, the medal bar, the DKIG and awards that were broken... obviously all left at home....

OMG!!!!!

you have outdid yo'self!!!!!

that is the earliest EK doc i've seen for the '39

issue, and all this has my pulse pounding!

just spectacular!!

joe

Our guy was quite the combat stud....

Poland, France, Serbia, Greece, Russia, France, Belgium, Germany

Poland, first to the channel, blitzkrieg in the Balkans, into the suburbs of Moscow, Kursk, Normandy, Mortain counter offensive, Falaise Pocket, Battle of the bulge.... and survived it all...

The only postwar info I have on him is that he died falling off a scaffolding while working for/on/at a brewery.

A rather ironic end to what must have been a hell of a soldier...

• 1 month later...