News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hallo, This card just arrived !

A Luftwaffe Stabsfeldwebel ? or Oberfeldwebel ? with a lot of decorations

I Think he has 11 decorations?

I know the pic is very crappy but is it possible to guess what he got?

The 8th on the ribbon bar has a crown/sword device. Bulgarian?

Christer

Guest Rick Research

Oooooooooooooooooo what a :love::love::jumping:

Ribbon bar =

Iron Cross 2nd Class 1914

War Merit Cross 2nd Class 1939 with swords

Hindenburg Cross X

Austrian WWI Commemorative Medal X

Sudeten 1938 Annexation Medal (red and black come out looking solid but note thin white edges)

1936 Olympics Medal

Hungarian WW1 Commemorative medal X

Bulgarian War ribboned award with Crown and Swords (probably silver Merit Medal)

Bulgarian WW1 Commemorative medal X

from his ribbon bar, improperly,

again the KVK2,

underneath that the statute "peacetime" (or non-frontline) Bulgarian Military Merit Cross ribbon.

He has 12 awards-- that looks (wrong positions) like the top of a WW1 Wound Badge "off camera" below his DRL Sports Badge.

You may want to post this again in the Luftwaffe uniforms section. It looks to me like his collar patches have the outside piping of the Luftwaffe Field Divisions.

Great photo - love the piping around the collar tabs and early-quality cap.

Rick, are you sure about the 1939 KVK2x in the number 2 spot? The ribbon stripes don't look the proper width, and (more speculation) wouldn't he have it in his button-hole with his EK ribbon rather than his '38 Sudeten ribbon?

Just curious.

Scott

It looks to me like his collar patches have the outside piping of the Luftwaffe Field Divisions.

Most definitely LW Field Divisions!! The outter piping and the shoulder strap Reg numbers(only seen on Flak and FD). I would LOVE to see this tunic in the flesh(while listening to the vet answer a few questions!). :jumping::jumping:

Definitely a Sudatenlands ribbon in the buttonhole! I bet that replacing a ribbonbar of that size for the addition of one ribbon would be a little expensive. Lots of commemorative medals there!

I think that the ribbon on the bar was the Austrian Annexation, versus the Sudatenland Annexation.

Guest Rick Research

Absolutely certain it's a double displayed KVK in his buttonhole and 2nd on the ribbon bar. The colors on some photos make that orangy-red and black look the same-- but note the almost invisible white edges on the buttonhole and ribbon bar ribbons-- common with KVK ribbons but not with EKs.

Might be a Sudeten under the buttonhole KVK. That would be weird and never authorized, but we've seen examples of it being done. The difference in color between the full size and ribbon bar one could be in the shades of red varying-- from pink to blood red.

I can see two pips on his shoulder boards, so he was an Oberfeldwebel when this photograph was taken. No long service decorations are present. The sports badge is a good sign that he was in a field-division type unit.

Guest Rick Research

KVK from the buttonhole. :rolleyes: Most recent has pride of place when worn without a ribbon bar.

He should, of course, only be wearing one OR the other.

:cheers:

Thanks Rick !

You Take the ribbons even in the worst photos !!! :cheeky:

The seller told me there was a 10 on the shoulder boards , but I can?t se it with my bad eyes... could that be to any help?

So a LW soldier in a felddiv in Bulgaria 1941-1942? that have been a sportsman earlier (sportsbadge, Olympics helper in some way)

Well a lot from just a single Photo

Thanks again eveyone

Christer

:cheers:

Thanks Rick !

You Take the ribbons even in the worst photos !!! :cheeky:

The seller told me there was a 10 on the shoulder boards , but I can?t se it with my bad eyes... could that be to any help?

So a LW soldier in a felddiv in Bulgaria 1941-1942? that have been a sportsman earlier (sportsbadge, Olympics helper in some way)

Well a lot from just a single Photo

Thanks again eveyone

Christer

That woul;d be kind of hard to do as Goering only issued a proclamation on the 17 of September of 1942 for the formations of the Felddivision's. Beside's which from what I can find, 10th FD served up in the Leningrad area. Maybe he was a Flak personnel.

Edited by Laurence Strong

That woul;d be kind of hard to do as Goering only issued a proclamation on the 17 of September of 1942 for the formations of the Felddivision's. Beside's which from what I can find, 10th FD served up in the Leningrad area. Maybe he was a Flak personnel.

He is definitely LW Field Division. The outter piping is either black(Pioneer) or Red(Flak/Arty). You photo is one for the reference books. Not many piped Tab LW FD photos around.

Just about any qualification or war badge would take precidence over a sports badge, so my guess is the badge below (out of full view) is something of relatively low importance. Unfortunately the droop-tail eagle on the uniform is not always a reliable dating indication, as there was no mandated change policy (as far as I know), and many late war photos show NCOs and officers still wearing droop-tails :( .

Scott

Edited by Scott