News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

There are a number of fakes of these out there and apparently this knowledge is widely known in the BRD. There were some cryptic comments made last year about being able to spot modern repros by the enamelwork within the belt, but honestly , I am not certain what that's all about.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can tell us what to look for.

A thin black outline around each letter, scroll,and belt hole.

This MVK with crown and swords is made by Leser, but unfortunately in its Original it was an MVK 2.Class with crown and swords which was later gilded. Leser did those first classes with crown and swords too, but there exist only early types with the front side center made out of pure gold.

Here is a close up of the lion. ~Ed

By early I mean the early types from WW1, the MVK with crown was founded in 1913.

This MVK is about 1917 and unfortunately now I`m absolutely sure that it was later gilded.

Why do you think the center is made out of pure gold ?

Regards

I had to remove the pictures I posted, because I took them without permission from another forum. MEA CULPA! My idea was to educate people on the many fakes and the few originals in circulation.

My most sincere excuses to those who felt offended by using and making public their pictures in this thread!

Edited by Claudio

I had to remove the pictures I posted, because I took them without permission from another forum. MEA CULPA! My idea was to educate people on the many fakes and the few originals in circulation.

My most sincere excuses to those who felt offended by using and making public their pictures in this thread!

Edited by Claudio

Edited by Claudio

I forgot to say that, for the early types up to 1916, it's quite evident the multi-pieces construction of the center medallion...

I would love to adquire a medal bar with a REAL MVK 1. Kl. If anybody knows somebody selling it, please let me know!!!

I also know a very big Bavarian collector and part-time dealer and also museum curator that sold me several of these pieces that he upgraded himself in his atelier... I saw the atelier... He never told me that the pieces he sold me were upgraded, though! That's why his prices were so good... no wonder all his pieces looked like brand new. He's quite an artist also with enamel repairs... :-((((((

Of course in his own collection he kept only the good ones and he's not going to sell them...

My brother told me that in order to be a good collector you must be also very egoist... that's why my brother doesn't have a good collection... maybe I am more selfish than he's or maybe I only spend more...

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

The medaillon is apparently not real Gold, so it should be silver gilt. I can see some greenspan (?! "Copper(II) acetate") on your picture you postet 22:28, so it's brass, copper or bronce - which makes it a bad one, in my humble opinion. As Claudio says, I'd prefer a real golden one, too.