News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 52
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One cheap and easy trick for dressing up a Riker case is to wrap some sort of fabric around the cotton or pseudo-cotton backing, and pin it to the back side.

You know... I have been thinking about that for a weekend project. Is there such thing as an acid free material that will look good?

You know... I have been thinking about that for a weekend project. Is there such thing as an acid free material that will look good?

Cotton, linen, silks... Usually they're good. Check with a higher-end frame shop. They'll likely be able to point you in the right direction.

• 1 year later...

Nope, all anonymous until I found them.

Even ("Taaaaammy! Taaaaaaammy! Tammmmmmmy's in love!" theme song playing quietly in background. If you have to ask, you are Too Young. :P ) these Georgian Tamara bars turned out to be definitively identifiable SOLELY because-- of all things-- of the ADDITION of one and then a second plain blue long service ribbon.

[attachmentid=11404]

and this guy was only a Reichs Labor Service Lieutenant Colonel...

it just comes down to being ABLE to track Imperial officers easier than any other variety.

There is, BTW, a FOURTH ribbon bar Out There to this officer:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1032...ost&p=14610

and now I am hearing the theme song from the Daniel Day Lewis version of "The Last Of The Mohicans."

Excuse my ignorance... but which bar here is the Tamara one?

Too bad, he seems to be invisible in the usual ranklists. I don't have the last Bavarian ranklists, however.

My guess is that besides the EK and BMVO4X, he may have had some unofficial Bavarian dynastic awards, like the Prince Rupprecht medal and Golden Wedding medal 1918. Probably also the various commemorative awards (Austria, Hungary, ...), which already makes quite a long bar.

Chris

Guest Rick Research

You can tell how many ribbons were on there by measuring the millimeters between the outside of the end loops. A bar should fit snugly with no room to slide around. I suspect this was a WW2 officer wearing 25mm ribbons. I don't find anybody WW1 either.

Because there is no RANK on the 1937 label, we can't tell if he was a Major THEN or not. I suspect not and this was his final WW2 promotion.

Luftwaffe officers are the largest "black hole" for research remaining for the Wehrmacht. :(

Guest Rick Research

I'd say that's probably 6, at 25mm, with the usual distance the hinged pin and catch were from the ends.

So a 1939 EK2 and KVK2X, a Luftwaffe 4, 2 "flowers campaign" medals from 1938 and something else.

• 2 years later...

The name sounds very Bavarian. Also, Bamberg is in Bavaria.

BTW, is it certain that he was already Major in 1937? Or could the tunic have been updated later?

for webr: please write me a email: faleristik@gmail.com

Guest Rick Research

"Luftwaffe officers are the largest "black hole" for research remaining for the Wehrmacht."

Ahhhh.... this ANCIENT 3 years old thread just being brought up today is fortuitous.

SINCE 3 years ago... the never published manuscript Luftwaffe Seniority List from summer 1944 has been found. Will check there and see what that MAY reveal.

If he was a reservist, nothing... but let's hope.

Guest Rick Research

Nothing, alas. He was either a reserve officer (the Luftwaffe was more generous with promotions than the army was) or he was dead before summer of 1914.

Not a regular in the First war and not a reserve officer by April 1916.

I don't find any unusual awards listed for him, so suspect he had the usual Bavariaan WW1 pair and WW1 commemoratives-- only worn as 25mm size not 15mm. That would make a far longer ribbon bar than usual for the same amount of ribbons.

• 1 month later...