News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Officers with Order Pour le Merite

Guest Brian von Etzel

Pleeeeeeeeeease, looking for a wartime photo of THIS guy...

KARL Friederici

Leutnant 18.8.95 K3kOberleutnant 22.4.05 Z6z

Hauptmann 27.1.11 P5p

Major some time in 1916

Stayed in Inf Rgt 98 long enough to become Regimental Adjutant, then moved on over to Inf Rgt 68.

He received his HHOX gazetted in the MWB on 13 September 1917, and was awarded Prussia's highest award

Pour le Merite 30 June 1918.

Alas, he did not live to savor his accomplishment, killed in action 4 November 1918 as Commander of Reserve J?ger Battalion 20-- literally in the final week of the war!

Biography from Rick R.

4 November is seven days before 11 November, so it was literally in the week before the final week, just to be technical. ;)

He was already in IR 68, as commander of 8.Kp./IR 68 when the war began, so when was he adjutant of IR 98? Did he go there and come back?

The Pour le merite website has his name misspelled as Friderici, perhaps confusing him with the various Prussian officers by that name. It is possible other sources might also have that misspelling.

Reserve-J?ger-Bataillon Nr. 20 has a unit history which might have pics, but I imagine it is rather hard to find.

Edited by Dave Danner

Another research angle, though not related to photos: Reserve-J?ger-Bataillon Nr. 20, like Reserve-J?ger-Bataillon Nr. 7, was raised in B?ckeburg by J?ger-Bataillon Nr. 7, the "B?ckeburg J?gers". B?ckeburg was the capital of the Principality of Schaumburg-Lippe. So with that connection it is possible that Maj. Friederici also received a Schaumburg-Lippe award like the Kreuz f?r treue Dienste. The award rolls exist in the Nieders?chsisches Staatsarchiv B?ckeburg. I don't know if they've been republished by Autengruber or other researchers.

Edited by Dave Danner

Guest Brian von Etzel

My grandfather on the day he was awarded his PlM.

Notice anything interesting here...

P.S. Thanks Dave! Love the historical asides!!!

Edited by Brian von Etzel

From the same book, Otto Ritter von Rauchenberger.

Commanding General, 1. Kgl. Bayerische Infanterie-Brigade, August 1914-?

Commanding General, 2. Kgl. Bayerische Infanterie-Division, May-August 1915

Commanding General, 14. Kgl. Bayerische Infanterie-Division, August 1916-May 1918

Commanding General, 6. Kgl. Bayerische Infanterie-Division, May 1918-Armistice

Guest Brian von Etzel

Brian,

By chance do you mean there's another PLM winner standing behind your grandfather? :love:

That's another Rick R. ID for me.

Bavarian Oberst leutnant Adolf Herrgott.

Died 2/15/57. Was chief of staff of my grandfather's XVII Armee Korps.

He became a Reichsheer Generalleutant! Wonder what he did there?

Final note, he won his PlM the same day as my grandfather while on his staff. This photo taken not coincidentally, 04.08.1918. Not much reason for smiling at this late date.

Edited by Brian von Etzel

Gentlemen,

A point of clarification regarding General von Below, who is shown in post #78. This is Otto, not to be confused with Eduard, Ernst, Fritz or Hans - all of whom were also awarded the PLM during WW1. Otto received his on 16 February 1915, followed by the oak leaves on 27 April 1917.

One more from the Bavarian book:

Ludwig Ritter von Tutschek, awarded the Pour le Merite on December 8, 1917. He received the MMJO on 11 December 1914 (for actions on 21 September 1914) and was ennobled on February 1, 1915.

He began the war as commander of Kgl. Bayerisches 15. Infanterie-Regiment K?nig Friedrich August von Sachsen. He then went on to command J?ger-Brigade Nr. 1 of the Alpenkorps. In February 1917, he took command of the 15. Kgl. Bayerische Infanterie-Division, and in September 1917, he returned to command the Alpenkorps.

Note the tan line at the brow. Too much time in the Alpine sun with a helmet or field cap on.

Edited by Dave Danner

Hi Max, welcome on board. The same photo has been post on # 25 Don't hesitate to show your photos

Regards

Christophe

Here's one for the list and just a mere Leutnant. Leutnant Walther Schnieber of 4K/IR63. He was awarded the PIM on -- 27 Oct. 1917.

IPB Image

Enjoy,

Sorry about the picture...

Max Stiebritz

• 6 months later...