News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The thing that always amazes me is how a firm like Schwerin which was clearly capable of producing such a superb fire-gilded finish on their tombak badges could produce such a crap finish on their Zinkers. Other firms (AS on their S-Boot being the most obvious example) seemed able to do it without any great problem. Why was a prestigious firm like Schwerin unable to produce a decent finish on their zinkers ?

These three are all Schwerin. OK the first is denazified but the dreadful finish is pretty typical of what I have seen on loads of Schwerin zinkers. The middle one for a zinker is actually pretty good, albeit the "gold" colour has darkened and looks pretty unattractive, but at least its there. Compare with the Tombak one - different world.

The thing that always amazes me is how a firm like Schwerin which was clearly capable of producing such a superb fire-gilded finish on their tombak badges could produce such a crap finish on their Zinkers. Other firms (AS on their S-Boot being the most obvious example) seemed able to do it without any great problem. Why was a prestigious firm like Schwerin unable to produce a decent finish on their zinkers.

Here is another prime example of how bad the finish was on some of their zincers,the Second Pattern S-Boot.Beautiful badge,poor finish.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by mwestley

Great looking badge Gordon.These Schwerin zinc Blockade badges that are in fine condition are better looking than their tombak predecessors IMO.Maybe because there is no guilding present,they seem to hold their finish better.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by mwestley

Yet another Schwerin Blockade Breaker with burnished swastika, chain and wing hilites. I'm not 100% certain that it's zinc but there is some corrosion on back in the area of the pin hinge leading me to believe that it's zinc. Don't have a scale to weigh it or a weight for comparison to be more certain.

Richard

I'm not 100% certain that it's zinc but there is some corrosion on back in the area of the pin hinge leading me to believe that it's zinc. Richard

Martin is correct, the reverse will tell you right away. If its Zinc, then the retaining hook will be soldered to a small disc rather than directly to the reverse of the badge as with Tombak pieces.

Martin is correct, the reverse will tell you right away. If its Zinc, then the retaining hook will be soldered to a small disc rather than directly to the reverse of the badge as with Tombak pieces.

Martin and Gordon thanks. It is tombak then as the retaining hook is soldered directly to the badge (ie no disc). I learned something new again today.

Richard

• 4 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...

This one just arrived from Germany.A very fine looking Foerster & Barth badge of single piece constrution.My old scanner does not do the badge justice.It is very nice in hand and retains most of it's original finish.

Regards,Martin.