News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers - (***MODERATORS' CHOICE)

Hi- Graham. Superb drum - pity they cut-it down. Interesting that the Battle Honours show Modder River and South Africa. Hawkes have now become Boosey and Hawkes - that is, if they are still in business. Did you see the side drum I posted for the Royal Irish Regt. - made for the 1911 Coronation - that was a Hawkes.

I like the RSM's badge Graham, never seena gosling green one before. It's a pity that the dogs tooth edging was removed when the drum was cut down, I wonder why? It would have added to the visual attraction of the piece - unless the cut down drum was to fit a particular space? Dd this one have the edging?

The red "V" shoulder patches - these were worn by some but not all battalions during WWII?

Technically known as a "Torrin" cap, due to the curveture to the front & rear, your Alex Baker postcards show's the officer wearing one during the Korean War. I have one of these too, but what I haven't got is an officers Field Service cap to the NF in dark blue. The bullion cap badge worn with the Torrin is basically the collar badge off the officers mess dress, where the grenade is vertical on the lapel. NF officer's full dress collars are twice this size and as you say the 'bomb' is horizontal to St.George.

• 2 months later...

I have a photograph and funeral card for Private E. Neal. He was a close relative of my grandfather, Richard Bartholomew, 17th Lancers. Are you related?

You may contact me at rjbesq@embarqmail.com

Robert (Jeff) Bartholomew

Jefferson City, Missouri, USA

Here are the details from Soldiers Died and the CWGC

Name: NEAL

Initials: E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Date of Death: 27/08/1917

Service No: 8472

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. E. 17.

Cemetery: TINCOURT NEW BRITISH CEMETERY

Sorry Jeff - no relation at all to Pte Edward Neal. All I can tell you about him was this he was born & resided in Ashington and enlisted in Newcastle in August 1914. His actual regimental number was infact 3/8472, which means he originally enlisted into the 3rd(Reserve)Bn,NF. He was then posted to the 9th(Service), 12th(Service), 'A'COY,23rd(Service)Bn's,NF, before being reposted back to the 12th Bn, with whom he was killed. He was known to have firstly wounded on the 5th July 1916 while serving with the 9th Bn and possibly again in September of the same year.

Ashington itself was infact the largest colliery village in the world at one time.

Edited by Graham Stewart

• 2 weeks later...

Just acquired the following NORTHUMBERLAND LIGHT INFANTRY MILITIA (later 3rd Bn Northumberland Fusiliers):

An archive of documents, letters, etc. re : Coquetdale Ward (Northumberland) militia. Almost all second half of 1852. Consists of the following items :

• Coquetdale Ward minute book of deputy lieutenants
      • Large half-leather bound volume with leather label on upper board. About 95% of leaves blank. Mostly concerns 1852
      • Contains the following
        • List of deputy lieutenants
        • Manuscript entries for several meetings
        • 2pp printed document re : volunteers
        • 4 page list of quota of men by ward
        • Blank application form for militia volunteers, with regulations
        • Folded poster "Northumberland light infantry regiment of militia, Coquetdale Ward"
        • 5 circulars written by William Dickson

[*]90 filled-in attestation forms for militia volunteers (W.O. form 798A)[*]Tied bundle of documents with lists of volunteers by ward. Over 70 entries for Alnwick, only a handful (or none) entries for other wards[*]Folded poster "Northumberland light infantry regiment of militia, Bamburgh Ward"[*]Large notice "Northumberland light infantry regiment of militia, volunteers required in Coquetdale Ward" bounty £6, dated September 4th, 1852[*]Newcastle polling district, 6 sheets with notes added on reverse re: volunteers[*]Letter from William Dickson to the war office[*]Manuscript report of the proceedings of the deputy lieutenants for Coquetdale ward (written on reverse of Newcastle polling district lists) + another, similar[*]c.30 other related letters, notes, etc.

• 1 month later...

Graham, the attestation papers are complete but there are no Regimental numbers on them. However there are Regimental numbers on the Return lists.

I haven't given them more than a cursory glance at the present time. I'm sure they'll reveal much useful info.

Now for some lesser well known pamphlets of the Northumberland Fusiliers. Here we have a short history pamphlet by Alfred Brewis relating to the formation of three "Commercial" battalions raised during the beginning of WWI.

Alfred Brewis was in some ways the pre-WWI curator/historian of the NF and his son Lieut Alfred Percy Brewis(1st Bn, NF)was to die of wounds 1st June 1917 whilst attached to the 1/5th East Lancs Regt.

This little pamphlet was produced during the heady days of recruiting for Kitcheners New Armies and dealt with the raising of the 16th, 18th & 19th(Service)Battalions and was printed the 1st March 1915. The 17th(Service)Bn were to be raised by the North Eastern Railways, but there had been plans to have a full "Commercial" Brigade of four battalions, but alas the fourth battalion was never raised.

Now for a series of covers of what is believed to be the only Battalion magazine produced by a NF Battalion during the Great War.

The magazine itself was entitled "The Growler" and was produced monthly for the 16th(Service)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers(Newcastle)and printed by W.L.Large & Sons Ltd, 52-54 Shields Rd, West, Newcastle-on-Tyne.

The magazine in essence is a battalion 'skit' taking a light hearted look at those who served in it. These originally belong to 16/1027 Cpl(later Sgt & WOII David Walter Smith, of 'D' Coy, 16th Bn, who luckily survived the war and who was later posted to the 19th(Service)Bn. He was also awarded an M.M. on 1st January 1918.

Hopefully our readers won't mind viewing the individual covers of these few surviving examples.

Finally one of the few Trench numbers known to survive. The cost now increased to 2d probably to cover the expense of having them sent out to France. The author of these magazines as expected was one of the officers of the Battlion, but I'm afraid I can't remember his name or fate.