News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers - (***MODERATORS' CHOICE)

Leigh,

What a cracker, in particular the varying unifoms being worn. You'll have noticed some are wearing 'blue patrols', but one in particula caught my eye as he appears to be a L/Cpl wearing a 'scarlet' patrol jacket identified by the addition of two breast pockets. I actually have an officers pattern scarlet patrol jacket in my collection, but this is the first time I've seen an O/R's pattern.

On viewing again though it could be my eyes, but it does look lighter.

Edited by Graham Stewart

The original photo contains about 4 times as many men, there's at least one more L/Cpl & also a Cpl in the group who are wearing scarlet Patrols. The eye is drawn to them initially because they don't wear collar badges, & sure enough their tunics appear to match the scarlet rather than blue tunics that other men are wearing.

Interestingly, only two men wear "proper" medals & one other a ribbon on the left breast, any other medals worn are ATA ones.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Leigh,

Looking at the larger photo it is apparent that two O/R's do seem to be wearing a scarlet patrol jacket, while the rest ot their colleagues wear the darker blue patrols. It's quite possible that the two odd men out may be part of the mounted infantry section.Would there be any chance of having the full scale photo e.mailed to me for further investigation???

"The Colours, 2/5th Fusilers"

The sergeant on the right would appear to be one of those in the photograph in post no. 57.

The card is one of "The Wellington Series" by Gale & Polden Ltd, & was posted on 12/1/12 (from Pontefract to an address in Clare, Suffolk).

• 3 weeks later...

Latest edition to the collection. Northumberland Fusiliers St.Georges Day c.1900/01. This could actually be either the new 3rd or 4th regular battalion, but what is interesting is the uniform. It's the 7 button undress Home Service pattern frock jacket and what is unusual is that apart from the piping down the front of the jacket no other piping is worn. The shoulder straps are plain scarlet with the title "bomb/NF" woven in white worsted. The collar and cuffs are in 'gosling green' facing colours, although at least one individual still has the more common white collar and cuffs. What makes these jackets rarer is the fact that they're 'jampot' cuffs, which were later replaced with a pointed cuff.

introduced 1881 - started to phase them out c.1902. For non-Royal regiments they were always white, but when coloured facings were reintroduced 'jampot' cuffs became coloured but seemingly for a short time only. Very little information is forthcoming regards full dress and undress thereafter, but at least two other patterns were adopted by regulars, the final one being the 1913 pattern.

In 1902 undress was abolished in favour of khaki SD.

Edited by Graham Stewart

Nice photo of young members of the 4th Bn, N.F. wearing the new khaki S.D. with the detachable shoulder strap brought into wear from 1902. Young man on right seems to be wearing the 'undress' scarlet jacket as again there's no sign of piping on the shoulder strap which would indicate full dress. Note also the 'jampot' cuff. The 4th Bn was eventually disbanded 1906.

Edited by Graham Stewart