News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have an SS Totenkopf ring that was dark brown when it arrived, nicotine apparently, the previous owner kept it out on display & was a heavy smoker. Cleaned up beautifully.

I'm not good on BO's but from the very little info I've absorbed over the years, this does seem to have the three little dots in the centre arch that some people talk about.....

Cheers

Don

I have an SS Totenkopf ring that was dark brown when it arrived, nicotine apparently, the previous owner kept it out on display & was a heavy smoker. Cleaned up beautifully.

I'm not good on BO's but from the very little info I've absorbed over the years, this does seem to have the three little dots in the centre arch that some people talk about.....

Cheers

Don

Yes,"patina" looks as nicotine.

• 4 weeks later...

Is this mounted in a group or display?

Just a loose medal?

I can accept nicotine staining, but not to both sides. It would have to sit/hang for many, many years to get coated with nicotine.

The detail of the back seems very good, but the front looks very weak.

Too many inconsistencies and impossible to be 100% accurate based on the images shown here.

If, its just nicotine staining (and here I concur with Stogieman, why both sides?) it should be safe to give a wash in a soapy water solution, without doing any damage to the item. It almost looks as if it has been deliberately painted on.

Silver items tends to go black with time, and this item shows very little black, which I find strange and it sets my alarm bell ringing. Unless it was washed and more detailed pictures taken I would pass on it.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

I would agree that it's impossible to make a definitive judgement based on photos alone, but aside from the odd coloration, the medal looks correct. It's also possible that the discoloration is actually silver tarnish and the because of the lighting or other photographic effect, it's looking browner rather than purple? Can you get the dimensions and weight? And with the damage to the front, the price would be affected.

Is it laying on a COA?

Erich

Edited by Erich

• 1 month later...