News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Royal Welch Fusiliers.

• 1 year later...
    • Replies 74
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I would breath some life back into this thread as it is twelve months since any additions.

Sgt Mjr R Johnson 2nd Bn 23rd Foot

Richard Johnson enlisted into the 23rd Foot on 8th March 1799. Upon his discharge on 24th October 1814 after 15 years 231 days service he is described as being thirty eight years of age 5 feet 7 inches in height, brown hair, hazel eyes and a dark complexion.

He was one the most senior NCO’s to be awarded the medal. (The other being Sgt Mjr John Jones)

The 23rd are entitled to 64 Corunna bars and 28 Egypt bars. Only two men were awarded both bars (The other being Pte Harry Marsh – who was also entitled to the Badajoz bar, making this exact clasp combination unique to Regiment)

4943 RSM Frank Jones 2/RWF

Frank Jones was a postman in Wrexham before deciding to join the Army and see the world. Born in 1876 he was twenty years old when he enlisted into the 2nd Battalion RWF on the 21st march 1896.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 10 months later...

Great posts and images, Gentlemen.

I'm beginning to research my grandfather's war path (as a suprise 90th birthday present for his daughter!) and wonder if anyone can help me find out the date on which he was transfered from The Welsh Regiment to the RWF and in which battalion RWF he may have served.

His MIC tells me he entered France 17th February 1915; was a private in the Welsh Regiment (1/6th Glamorgan Bn, I believe, serial no.22379) and was demobbed 13th January 1919 as a L/Cpl in the RWF (serial no. 42176).

I imagine the RWF museum will be able to help, but thought I'd pick your substantial brains first.

Thank you.

Dai

Edited by The Vicar

Another great thread from the archives of the GMIC! The Royal Welch Fusiliers (and the Welsh Regiment) have been secret interests of mine for some years. My wife's father's ancestors are from Mold, Wales - just near Caernafon - which we visited in 1985 after we had been married just over a year. We spent some time in the RWF Museum - the first time my wife learned of this militaria obsession (but not the last) and she has "tolerated" many military site and museum visits since (well over 26 years together). And I obtained my very first piece of British militaria - a RWF cap badge.

A couple years ago, I decided to quietly - and secretly - try to trace any military connections of her family and surprise her with a display in my collection honoring her family's Welsh origins. So far, all I have is that first RWF cap badge and a Victory Medal to a private in the Welsh Regiment with her family name - although I have yet to do any research on the man. Many things have distracted me from this secret mission - but this thread may just well re-light the fire!

Cheers! :cheers:

• 3 years later...

OR's metal shoulder titles.

3 combination versions and two seperate types, one of which has been converted into a sweetheart brooch. I have the flaming grenades to go with the two pice versions, but have not shown them.

Officers collar badges.

There are two main variations, the earlier type has a beast that looks like a griffin and has no loop in its tail, the later type has a dragon with a loop in its tail. It is not known when the chnage took place, but most who have an opinion think it took place circa 1920 when the spelling chnaged from Welsh to Welch.

Early type.

Later type

Also come in bullion.

And a sweetheart conversion.

I have more examples, but these suffice to show the variations to be found.

Officers tunics.

Early 20th century Volunteer Battalion officers undress scarlet frock. Unnamed and sadly missing its shoulder boards.

Major C.J.L Lewis, served in the far east as 2ic to 2/RWF after previous service as 2ic 4/RWF.

Captain/Acting Major J.R.O.Williams, attached to HQ 30 Corps Mil S.

Brigadier J.R.H. Orr CBE, MiD, served with the Indian army from 1928, with among others the 11th Prince Albert Victor's Own Cavalry (Frontier Force) including in North Africa, also with the 6th Mahrattas as aLt. Colonel until he joined the RWF in circa 1948 and then on attachment to the Kings African Rifles in Kenya where as a Brigadier (70th BDE) he was mentioned in despatches and also for which he was awarded the OBE and then later the CBE.

• 1 month later...

Circa 1890 officers bullion & silver collar badges for the red tunic. Lovely condition and not often seen outside the regimental museum. The details on the dragon is superb and it is the early version which looks more like a Griffin and has no loop in the tail, whilst the flames of the grenade are the wider type when compared with the later versions. Also shown are some later collars and a cap badge with the loop in the dragons tail and the narrower flames.

Originally started by Leigh Kitchen back in 2008 , this sub-Forum has had some good posts - unfortunately, once the

immediate posts had been completed it sank down out of sight. Well worth being revived - and Jerry, a chance to

show your exceptional collection of RWF material. Some super items - particularly with the uniforms.

I feel that , wiith your knowledge on the subject, that you could enlarge on some aspects of your collection and post

them as articles. This would be of great interest with the various Commemorative events happening this year. Mervyn

Originally started by Leigh Kitchen back in 2008 , this sub-Forum has had some good posts - unfortunately, once the

immediate posts had been completed it sank down out of sight. Well worth being revived - and Jerry, a chance to

show your exceptional collection of RWF material. Some super items - particularly with the uniforms.

I feel that , wiith your knowledge on the subject, that you could enlarge on some aspects of your collection and post

them as articles. This would be of great interest with the various Commemorative events happening this year. Mervyn

Mervyn.

Thanks and I am more than happy to add more detailed posts on aspects of the regiment if there is the interest for it here. To be honest I was not sure if the interest was there, as until you, my posts have not appeared to garner any attention.

The RWF are involved in a project to commemorate the 1914 Xmas truce as they were one of the units involved and I can find out more details on this. I know there will be an exhibition in France and that will then tour cities in the UK that have expressed an interest in it.

Jerry , you are probably an experienced 'poster' on other Forums - you will then, understand that many members like

to read, but won't always reply. This is a great pity , but if it is a subject they are not familiar with then they read, enjoy,

probably learn - but, won't reply in case they make a mistake.

When we do get a subject that people can join-in on , then it is great fun to see the different opinions. My feeling , is that

if I make a mistake and it is pointed out - then good, at least someone is interested.

I do hope that you will make further posts on the RWF - they are a famous Regiment and deserve our attention. Thankyou. Mervyn

• 7 months later...

5th Battalion The Royal Welsh Fusiliers, showing the battalion mascot.

The mounted man wears length of service stars on his right cuff.

The battalion served at Gallipoli from 9/8/15, Egypt 22/12/15 - 1917, Palestine 1917 - 18, & amalgamated with the 6th Battalion on 2/8/18, to form the 5th / 6th Bn RWF.

The battalion is identified from detail in the photo - anybody spot it?

Hi,

The 1/5th RWF amalgamated with the 1/6th RWF also at Suvla Bay on 9/10/1915. Most of the men had gone done with dysentery and the 5th had 18 officers and 355 men while the 6th had 21 officers and 354 ORs.

Charles

• 7 months later...

Some interesting photos dated Jan 1946 in West Germany though they appear to be wearing leeks so probably the St Davids day celebration which should be 1st March, though is not always held on the correct day.  I have been told it is probably one of the TF bn's.

rwf germany 1946 scan a watermarked.jpg

rwf germany 1946 scan b watermarked.jpg

rwf Germany st davids dinner 1946 front watermarked.jpg

• 2 months later...

Some recent additions to my collection of RWF photo's all from a recently split album sold as individual items on ebay.  Sadly I only managed to get these three.

All are circa WWI and are of members of 3/RWF including the commanding officer, though it is uncertain which officer that was, but  Capt G.W. Priestley, Indian Army retired, was gazetted to 4 Garr Bn RWF as Adjt, was promoted Temp Lt Col. (27/4/16) and commanded the battalion until June 1916. Was gazetted (1/6/16) Temp Lt Col. to command the 3rd Res Garr Bn and remained with the battalion until June 1917

is most likely.

rwf officer scans from ebay oct 2015 scan 2 watermarked.jpg

the second of the three.

rwf officer scans from ebay oct 2015 scan 1 watermarked.jpg

and the third of them, on a lighter note.  Also you can see his black flash on the back of his collar.

RWF officer group comedy scan pic detail watermarked.jpg

• 2 years later...