News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Darrell

Hi All,

What are the thoughts on this PARA? I have posted before, but with mixed reviews.

Thanks for Opinions,

Mark

Hi Mark,

As many have eluded to over on WAF, these are deemed very late war (post Jan 45). That being said, a great many surfaced over the last year in "Very" mint condition causing some un-easiness amoungst collectors.

Personally I like the "worn" ones (like your example here), but I'm still teedering on the edge myself.

Hi Mark,

I like 'em 100% - along with the L/64 marked Flak, Pilot Observer, Pilot, and I believe there is the Observer Badge in the mix as well. All obviously late war as the LDO statute wasn't issued until late '44. I believe the latest round of the questioning of authenticity of these A - L/64's was that article by Hugh Brock in the MT a few years back where he takes information (calling them bad) from Nimmerguts book. We all have our opinion on Nimmergut, but that another story. Other than the Para Badge with the injected molded wreath, I have not seen one of the other badges I mentioned in the "A- L/64" series in a minty condition. All were worn or were in a condition worthy of a very late war badge such as the example you show. As Darrell stated earlier about the recent abundance of "minty" Paras around in the past year or so - Is it not possible to find a certain lot of unissued badges in pristine condition somewhere? Especially being late war? Sure it is - just look at those Mint (26)EKI's that came out of nowhere, and they, I don't believe, were late war. If I was seeing all of the badges in the "A- L/64" series surfacing in "minty" condition, then I would HAVE to reconsider my stance. But hell, as of right now, I can't even FIND any of the other "A- L/64" marked badges! The Flak surfaces here or there, but the others are like finding that old needle in a haystack. If this was a series of faked or post war badges, I would expect to find them all relatively as easy as I can find the Para Badge.

ERIC :catjava:

P.S.

If you want to unload your "fake" Para, send me a message - I'll give you a decent repro price for it! :rolleyes:

Mark

I have read with interest the 'worry' about these badges but never really could see why suddenly there were questions about them.

I believe the question arose as to why do only late flight badges have LDO markings (and only Assmann). The answer, I believe, was as their distribution was controlled by Gorings offices, they were not availble for private retail and it was only towards the very late stages that luft badges could be bought privately.

Just because a late zinc L/64 badge is in mint condition doesn't have to mean it is fake and nor would it worry me to own one. I once turned down a mint silver class CCC because the finish was so good and so complete that I thought it must be bad. Well it wasn't and it was probably the nicest I have seen. Ever. :banger:

I don't have any L/64 pieces myself, in fact I have no zinc flight badges because firstly I am paranoid that without proper care the finish could deteriorate rapidly while in my care and secondly I don't like the loss of finish that they usually have.

The reality is however, that we have no idea if these L/64 pieces continued to be made post May 1945.

Rich

Edited by Richard Gordon

Although I consider these injection moulded badges (mould 1-2 ?A? &?A L/64?) to be from original ?Assmann? dies, I think the argument for there being both wartime and post-war examples has credence.

Based on a little logical thought, opinions given by some old collectors over the years and the couple examples seen in vet acquired groups, I have formulated a ?rule of thumb? that I stick to.

Of course this is only a personal preference as to construction and finishing and is in no way definitive.

So, my preference?. Original wartime badges should have the eagle gilded on both obverse and reverse and rivets should be of the flat head type. This is based on the couple I?ve seen in the aforementioned groups, and logically I consider the fact that when Assmann produced the last in the series of die-struck badges, in zinc, they were using flat head rivets which continued into the injection moulded series and will be found on the both No.1 - No.2 types. So where do domed rivets come into the equation?

It?s my feeling that an answer will be hard to come by. IMO, it?s another one that comes down to personal preference.

An example of an Assmann badge in zinc...being the last in the die-struck series.

Obverse.