News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What have you in the drawer that's rare?

Almost forgot about this one boys. I have only rarely seen the non-combatnat Hungarian 1914-1918 medal, even less so mounted in groups. Is anyone else of the opinion these are rare or am I just by myself on this one?? :unsure:

cheers Jason

I think mounted examples of the KVM are like the KVK w. no swords. Very, very hard to find!

Jason,

Beautiful bars! I love that medic's bar(BTW, why does the Hindenburg Cross have swords?)!!

Hi Rick.

Why is the KVM medal so difficult to find on bars? I thought that it was the most common medal awarded!

Best regards

Paul

Edited by Paul Reck

Hi Mike, I'll jump in on the ribbon question, its simply faded badly, the reverse of it is still reasonably bright. Due to the quality of my reduction its a bit hard to make it out properly, but its definitely a non combatant ribbon!

cheers Jason

Hi Mike, I'll jump in on the ribbon question, its simply faded badly, the reverse of it is still reasonably bright. Due to the quality of my reduction its a bit hard to make it out properly, but its definitely a non combatant ribbon!

cheers Jason

Hi Jason, my eyes must be getting clouded by looking at all these fantastic bars :speechless: Now I've looked closer ..... and yes yours is the non-combatant ribbon. Nice one, thanks for sharing with us :cheers:

Edited by Mike Huxley

If this guy was a doctor maybe the hungarian regulations for that medal considered him as "non-combatant" while in the regulations for the Hindenburg cross he was a combatant. I have the same problem with this medal bar. By the EK he was combatant, by the Braunschweig cross not...

Edited by JensF.

nice one Jens! :beer:

Too keep the ball rolling I post my brother's completely non-combattant bar!

Description:

? Preussen, EK 2. Klasse 1914 am Nichtk?mpferband, nur ca. 13?000 Verleihungen! (OEK 1909)

? Preussen, Verdienstkrez f?r Kriegshilfe, 1916-24 (OEK 1966)

? Preussen, Rote Kreuz Medaille, 2. Klasse (OEK 1871)

? Preussen, Rote Kreuz Medaille, 3. Klasse (OEK 1872)

? Oldenburg, Kriegsverdienstmedaille, 1917-1918 (OEK 1565)

? Deutsches Reich, Ehrenkreuz f?r Kriegsteilnehmer (OEK 3803/2)

? Preussen, Centenarmedaille 1897 (OEK 1965)

@Jason: very nice bar you have... strange that the FAK 2. Kl. and the EK 2. Kl. aren't on non-combattant ribbons, too! But I guess since Germans weren't so precise as we might think, I think such miss-matched combinations of combattant and non-combattant medals on the same bar come up quite frequently. In Italian we say that "l'eccezione fa la regola"...

Ciao,

Claudio

It's the other side of the goblet I like best, though....... :love:

Robin, could you post some more scans of your :love: goblet? Maybe it's the Grateful Dead connection, but I've got a thing for skulls too. :rock on:

The cross is approx 50mm. It was made using two handmade, hand engraved dies. The first pressed the center design into the silver sheet and the second formed the border. There are places where the "flame design is weakly present on the back concave side of the border. As you can see some of corners have different angles and one is rounded. Two of the arms are just slightly longer than the others as well. All signs of hand crafting the dies and the cross itself.

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy