News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Strange hat... what is it?

Hi guys,

I have this for inspection, to decide whether to take it or not. Well, in order to decide, first of all I need to know what it is :speechless: So... It is something like a cylinder, at the lower and the upper end is decorated with gilt lines. Has a chinstrap on metal pieces, inside has only two numbers stamped. Also has a long label sewn with handwriting, unfortunately absolutely faded, not even a letter readable. Has had a visor on the front, but it has been torn. The visor has been made of very thick cardboard, painted black outside /a small part only left to see the matherial/. Everything looks old - the matherial, the metal pieces, the leather base of the metal chinstrap... Is it somehting military, or theater piece? Thanks in advance!

Front:

Theodor,

It might be part of the traditional dress worn by German miners, sometimes still seen in bands or orchestras.

However, if it comes from your part of Europe, it might be something quite different.

David

That's exactly what I thought as soon as I saw it.

Should it not have the crossed tools (hammer and something) as a badge? Can you see if a badge was once attached Theodor?

Tony

Thank you for your replies! :beer: As for the badge... difficult to say...But there are some traces which may have been holes from prongs... Yes, possibly there has been a badge of some kind, but no way to tell size or shape. Anyway, seems that hat is out of my collecting field :cheers: