News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hel Peninsula

Hi Guys,

I`m trying to find out a bit more about what went on, on Hel Peninsula, particuarly during the German retreat. There seems to be scant information on the net (or I`m looking in the wrong place), to that end can some point me in the right direction, or supply me with a bit more info?

Gordon.

Hi Gordon,

During the Invasion of Poland the Hel Peninsula was one of the longest-defended pockets of Polish Army resistance. Approximately 3,000 soldiers of the Coastal Defence Group(Grupa Obrony Wybrzeża) units under Kmdr Włodzimierz Steyer defended the area against overwhelming odds until October 2, 1939. Shortly before capitulation, Polish military engineers detonated a number of torpedo warheads, which separated the peninsula from the mainland transforming it into an island. During World War II the Kriegsmarine used the Hel naval base to train U-Boat crews.

At the end of the war the village was the last part of Polish soil to be liberated: the German units encircled there surrendered on May 10, 1945, two days after Germany capitulated.

• 11 months later...

Cheers Taz.

A sort of German, Dunkirk then?

not quite,

But there were several well defended strongpoints that lasted longer then any other normal unit. Several pockets along the French coast held out till may 45, for example.