News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question about Army Air Corps wings

landsknechte

I'm in the process of obtaining replacement medals of the medals that my grandfather earned in WWII. In the "we'll be sending the stuff soon" letter, there was a mention at the bottom of a different address to contact for obtaining Army and Army Air Corps wings. That came as a bit of a surprise...

We know went through at least some pilot training (there was an Advanced Aviation Cadet patch among his effects, for what it's worth), before slipping a disc in his back and washing out. Eventually he was retrained and spent the remainder of the war on the ground in England.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if any of the following training would have merited him wings (air crew?):

Radio Operator & Mechanic

Radar Mechanic

Pre-Radar

Radar Mechanic Navigator

--Chris

Edited by landsknechte

The only documentation we have is his Separation Report, and apparently all of his other records still in government custody were destroyed in the 1973 fire.

IPB Image

It doesn't mention wings, but the fact that his GCM was left off doesn't give me 100% confidence in the accuracy of the clerk that typed it up.

Thanks,

--Chris

The related (or possibly related) items that we found - duplicate items not included:

IPB Image

He did go through some pilot training, but washed out after slipping a disc in his back. I still don't quite have a clear picture of just how far he got.

--Chris

Edited by landsknechte