News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Steinhauer Brothers

Very nice Gordon!

Ok,I will ask the obvious question :unsure:....how come the 1914 cross has a PK marking when it really only could be a private purchase piece and not an issued cross?

Dave

What makes you think a 1914 Cross could only be private purchase ?? ;)

Any soldier serving who had his medals lost or damage during the course of that service could apply for an official replacement free of charge. What about all those senior NCOs/Officers who served in WW1 and were still serving in WW2, wearing their 1914 EK1. If thier award was lost/damaged in the course of their duties, they would get an official replacement, marked with a PK stamp.

The PK stamp just indicates that the award was an official contract piece supplied to the Ordenskanzlei as opposed to the retail trade. Its the same as a soldier losing his 1939 EK and getting an official replacement, which would have a PK stamp. The PK stamp wasn't purely for the award piece, but for any piece supplied officially to the government under contract.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Jan Arne. Interesting that the normal placing for the 4 and the L/16 is on the pin, yet the double marked pieces usually have the 4 on the pin and the L/16 on the cross. Suggests to me that they started life as official 4 marked pieces then had the L/16 added when they were used to fill a retail order ratherbthan the other way around.