News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

11 piece miniature chain by Godet, unusual group

This is by far the nicest mini group I have in my collection. I purchased it from Detlev Niemann a number of years ago since it was one of those "had to have" items. The big question is can those who are far more knowledgeable about these things than I will ever be (even if I buy all their books) help to pin it down to a specific person ??

Feast your eyes on this baby !

ok, some more points to think about....

1. I know only some men who got all three hanseatic crosses, all were admirals generals or the emperor... ;) I can`t remember a "normal" soldier with all 3 crosses...

2. all combattant awards and then in position 2 a Baden war aid cross????

3. without baden, Finland and the Silesian eagle my first shot with that combination would have been: Navy... Mediterranian sea...SMS Goeben

but with these other awards...hmmmmm, a bit unreal...

Ok, that`s from me for the moment..... next one please :rolleyes:

Guest Rick Research

Marinekorps... there would have been some triple Hanseatics among them. I can think of a couple of odd army staff captains and Beamten too.

The problem is this is an All Wartime bar.

There is no long service, nor any pre-war awards to establish a paper trail.

The L?beck Roll is being worked on. The Bremen Roll was sent for and lost by baboons in the U.S. Customs Service. The Hamburg Roll is on a CD that has thus far defied use...

I would say as a combination this would definitely be most likely for a naval person, but not anyone who can be identified AT THIS POINT.

----> ARMY wound badge for NAVY? Sure-- especially in the Silesian Freikorps units. These were handed out for 1919 just as if the Real War had not ended.

Guest Rick Research

Yes, I think so. Because chances are the guy is invisible (currently) in two dimensions. Here is an example of a less than exalted triple Hanseatics winner, from 1929's Intendantur Ehren Rangliste:

30 years old when the war started, he was the supply branch administrative equivalent of a Captain, and a nominal Oberleutnant dR simultaneously. So no long service awards.

Yet he amassed TEN count 'em TEN count 'em TEN awards during the war: both Iron Crosses, both Oldenburgs, the three Hanseatics-- and the completely "random" additions of awards from Bavaria, Hesse, and Schaumburg-Lippe!!!!

I'd say your minis chain guy will turn out to have been some sort of similar level dual reservist/official-- but very possibly a nominal ARMY reserve officer WHILE being a naval OFFICIAL. Invisible as BOTH in the available sources.

Not trying to be chippy but O?Connor (Volume 7) credits Rittmeister Manfred Freiherr von Richthofen with all three Hanseatic crosses. Not suggesting that he was "normal" or the owner of this chain because that is obviously not the case...

1. I know only some men who got all three hanseatic crosses, all were admirals generals or the emperor... ;) I can`t remember a "normal" soldier with all 3 crosses...

Guest Rick Research

Yeah, but he falls into that same "celebrity kiss up" category. Dr. R. however was most definitely a Mere Mortal and yet he got 'em too.

I suspect there are more of his sort out there that we haven't encountered bars for, but that a combined transcription of the three Rolls will ultimately reveal. There are certainly a very large number of DOUBLE Hanseatics, so I would expect more for the usual HQ hangers on types.

Yeah, but he falls into that same "celebrity kiss up" category. Dr. R. however was most definitely a Mere Mortal and yet he got 'em too.

Au contraire, Herr Research. Rittmeister von Richthofen was a cavalryman who became an aviator, hence a truly superior life form. I hasten to add the self-evident and highly logical extension of this fact which places Air Cavalrymen at the apex of the food chain... :cheeky: