News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1968 "Operation Danube" Order of the Red Banner

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Here it is, January 2008--

Ed-- did you ever get Mokrushin's Personnel records?

Dave: "Just one thing to add... The price I'd be willing to pay is in no way connected with the price of the award in today's market. Were this two years ago and the Red Banner worth $50 with the document, I'd still give you the same amount. If Red Banners ever become excessively expensive and break the $300-$400 barrier, I would probably raise my "value" on it simply because of the relative value of it to "average" ones.

Dave"

That day, that lunatic, deranged, day has come. 175,000 1950s long service ORBs and now... "take yer pick" for a $30 (2001) 1950s ORB at.... $350! :speechless:

And here we all are, in the 40th anniversary year of the Prague Spring. Ed-- you suppose it's too late to contact the Czech Embassy and see if they'd like to do a historical display? The ORDERS, not of you and me!!!!

&

... and Gordienko and Mokrushin, landing in the dead of night....

• Replies 69
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed-- did you ever get Mokrushin's Personnel records?

All requests have come up empty. If he is/was/has been still living, then it is my understanding that his records would be still at his home, and not in central archives. Correct me if I'm wrong?

And here we all are, in the 40th anniversary year of the Prague Spring. Ed-- you suppose it's too late to contact the Czech Embassy and see if they'd like to do a historical display? The ORDERS, not of you and me!!!!

. . . .

... and Gordienko and Mokrushin, landing in the dead of night....

40th anniversary . . . that is scary.

Maybe a joint JOMSA piece? If you can stand it.

Guest Rick Research

You're welcome to use Colonel Gordienko with Lieutenant Mokrushin, Ed. :cheers: Too late for August "anniversary" issue, though?

PS I just realized I never did Mokrushin's citation translation, either (in anticipation of more data that never arrived):

Mokrushin, Leonid Aleksandrovich

Senior Lieutenant. Commander of a parachute company in 108th Gds. Parachute Regiment, 7th Gds. Airborne Division

Proposed for: Order of the Red Star

Born 1941, Russian, Member of the CPSU

In Red Army since 1960, called up from Krasnoperkopskaya Local Military Commissariat, city of Yaroslavl.

Not previously decorated.

Home address: Apt 2, House 24, Ulitsa Plyanto, Kaunas, Lithuanian SSR.

In the period of preparations for the execution of Operation "Dunai," Senior Lieutenant Mokrushin made Party and Komsomol activity for the successful fulfilment of the mission. Concretely delivered objectives for commanders of the platoons.

In action fulfilling objectives, skillfully organized reconnaissance and coordination with units of the company, among the numbers of the first blockade of the building of the staff of the ((Czech)) 7th Army Anti-Aircraft Defense, secured successful advance of the battalion.

Skillfully led the disarmament of ((Czech)) officers and soldiers guarding the staff of the Army. Correctly systematized guarding and defending the building, securing liquidation of counter-revolutionary vystpulenii ((I have NO idea what that word is--not in my Russian dictionaries))against personnel and covered them from sustaining fire. As a result, the company fulfilled successful delivery of objectives, without loss of personnel.

For skillful direction of the company, boldness and resolution ((word off copy)) for fulfillment of assignments of the command, deserves to be decorated with the Order "of the Red Star."

Commander of 108th Gds. Parachute Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel Sokolov (signed) 21 January 1969

DOH! :speechless: Same Mystery Word in Gordienko's-- somebody ( :cheers: ) told me back then means "thugs" or "hooligans."

Rick,

The verb "вступить" means to enter into, to join (an organisation); "Вступление" means entry, joining (an organisation).

Marc

Guest Rick Research

So how would you make the phrase come out with that describing "counter-revolutinary" for people? "counter-revolutionary members" ?

So how would you make the phrase come out with that describing "counter-revolutinary" for people? "counter-revolutionary members" ?

It is true:

The verb "вступить" means to enter into, to join (an organisation); "Вступление" means entry, joining (an organisation).

But there is a mistake: the correct word is "В(Y)ступление" and in this context means "counter-revolutionary" struggling ...

I learned my russian years ago but I think it is correct.

waldemar

Guest Rick Research

Ah, so the citations were TYPED wrong! :banger:

The proper sense would then be:

"liquidation of counter-revolutionary struggling against ..." :cheers:

It was a long time ago for me, too. (before Brezhnev invaded Afghanistan)

Ah, so the citations were TYPED wrong! :banger:

The proper sense would then be:

"liquidation of counter-revolutionary struggling against ..." :cheers:

It was a long time ago for me, too. (before Brezhnev invaded Afghanistan)

Rick if you look at this citation you will find that letter 'Y' (as we it as 'Y' understand) was consistently written with letter similiar to 'bl', I think that it is correct 'Y' letter in russian.

waldemar

Guest Rick Research

Yup. I got confused between the "BCT..." and then your response-- it was typed, and I transliterated it with the "y"...

It's always frustrating when a word isn't in a dictionary printed in the Soviet Union, and my vocabulary (let us not mention remembering grammar :speechless1: ) dates from the mid-1970s!

Rick, Ed

Small difference:

"Вступление" means entry, joining (an organisation). As Marc wrote, and it is correct.

"Выступление" means in your context: struggling

ы = our 'y'

waldemar

Oh . . . :banger:

Mujhe khaas maloom to abhi tak nahin aate hat!

Edited by Ed_Haynes

You're welcome to use Colonel Gordienko with Lieutenant Mokrushin, Ed. :cheers: Too late for August "anniversary" issue, though?

PS I just realized I never did Mokrushin's citation translation, either (in anticipation of more data that never arrived):

Mokrushin, Leonid Aleksandrovich

Senior Lieutenant. Commander of a parachute company in 108th Gds. Parachute Regiment, 7th Gds. Airborne Division

Proposed for: Order of the Red Star

Born 1941, Russian, Member of the CPSU

In Red Army since 1960, called up from Krasnoperkopskaya Local Military Commissariat, city of Yaroslavl.

Not previously decorated.

Home address: Apt 2, House 24, Ulitsa Plyanto, Kaunas, Lithuanian SSR.

In the period of preparations for the exceution of Operation "Dunai," Senior Lieutenant Mokrushin made Party and Komsomol activity for the successful fulfilment of the mission. Concretely delivered objectives for commanders of the platoons.

In action fulfilling objectives, skillfully organized reconnaissance and coordination with units of the company, among the numbers of the first blockade of the building of the staff of the ((Czech)) 7th Army Anti-Aircraft Defense, secured successful advance of the battalion.

Skillfully led the disarmament of ((Czech)) officers and soldiers guarding the staff of the Army. Correctly systematized guarding and defending the building, securing liquidation of counter-revolutionary vystpulenii ((I have NO idea what that word is--not in my Russian dictionaries))against personnel and covered them from sustaining fire. As a result, the company fulfilled successful delivery of objectives, without loss of personnel.

For skillful direction of the company, boldness and resolution ((word off copy)) for fulfillment of assignments of the command, deserves to be decorated with the Order "of the Red Star."

Commander of 108th Gds. Parachute Regiment, Lieutenant Colonel Sokolov (signed) 21 January 1969

Ed,

I take it 'выступление' has been has been sorted out - the same word, incidentally, is used by the theatre goes, as in 'выступление в театре' i.e a theatre pefomance. The second missing word is 'проявленные', that is 'revealed' or 'shown'.

Sergei

PS Sorry for being careless here, the second part of the sentence should then read "... boldness and resolution shown (revealed) in fufullment of ..."

Edited by Sergei

Thanks-- I'm not good with words missing their middle parts!

Rick,

I bet you are, perhaps in the language that has been been with you since your childhood.

I am trying to be helpful as much as I can, I know that I am not being very systematic but the research seems to be coming in faster than I can read it!

Where on Earth are the other Russian native speakers!?

Sergei

• 6 months later...