News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1853 Nepalese Enfield Rifle

spionKopKid

I have bitten the bullet and bought a few of these rifles from IMA.

Maybe this is the wrong arena to dicsuss the history of these rifles but I was wondering if anybody would like to add to the discussusion.

Mainly I am curious to their origins, I know little evidence exhists but that won't stop me speculating!!

Questions I have - Does anybody know the date of their manufacture?

- Where the rifles used by the Gurkas OR the Napalese Army (Where they then the same thing?)

I have seen pictures of Gurkas during the indian mutiny and they appear to be equiped with 1842 Muskets, ruling out the chance that these rifles where used during the mutiny.

So if they were used after the mutiny by the Gurkas this puts their issue after the 1850's. During the 1860's as I'm sure most of you are aware the American civil war took place, following the war there where >100,000 surplus enfields which the US government tried in vain to sell off to anybody who would have them.

How about as a theory some of these where bought by by the Nepalese? It just strikes me as a bit odd that the Nepalese would bother making any 1853's when the world was awsh with surplus stock. The only problem would be that the Uk may not appreciate the Nepalese purchasing arms from anybody but them and therefore asked for rifles/parts with no markings so they can't be traced.

I know this is all wishfull thinking but I think it is a nice theory!!

I have bitten the bullet and bought a few of these rifles from IMA.

Maybe this is the wrong arena to dicsuss the history of these rifles but I was wondering if anybody would like to add to the discussusion.

Mainly I am curious to their origins, I know little evidence exhists but that won't stop me speculating!!

Questions I have - Does anybody know the date of their manufacture?

- Where the rifles used by the Gurkas OR the Napalese Army (Where they then the same thing?)

I have seen pictures of Gurkas during the indian mutiny and they appear to be equiped with 1842 Muskets, ruling out the chance that these rifles where used during the mutiny.

So if they were used after the mutiny by the Gurkas this puts their issue after the 1850's. During the 1860's as I'm sure most of you are aware the American civil war took place, following the war there where >100,000 surplus enfields which the US government tried in vain to sell off to anybody who would have them.

How about as a theory some of these where bought by by the Nepalese? It just strikes me as a bit odd that the Nepalese would bother making any 1853's when the world was awsh with surplus stock. The only problem would be that the Uk may not appreciate the Nepalese purchasing arms from anybody but them and therefore asked for rifles/parts with no markings so they can't be traced.

I know this is all wishfull thinking but I think it is a nice theory!!

Ok I've looked at the book "Treasure is where you find it" (http://www.ima-hosting.com/index.php/cPath/29_175) and it appears that they were indeed made after the Mutiny and also before the end of the ACW, explains allot, I guess that they are Nepal thoroughbreds.

Bit disapointed they didn't see any significant action but still please I've bagged myself a P1853 enfield for ?120!!