News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An Imperial German lapel ribbon bar ... thingie

Anyone interested in military history, and thinks they can't benefit from this forum,...

A few weeks ago there was some discussion of the German lapel-style ribbon bars, with a nice typically long German name, if I remember correctly...my translation is "thingie". Anyway, while looking through some boxes at a local antique mall I found one. Never would have touched it if I hadn't learned about them right here! :cheers:

Using my very, very limited resources on such matters, I think this is represents the awards to a Bavarian, with the Bavarian Military Order of Merit, the Iron Cross, Hindenburg Cross and..... ???? White ribbon with a red stripe near each side.

Thanks...like I didn't have enough stuff to spend money on!

What do you think???

Firemedals :D

Guest Rick Research

Yup! :beer: A 1934-35 one before the Iron Cross assumed primacy over all non-Prussian WW1 awards.

The back ribbon is for the Hungarian WW1 Commemorative Medal for combatants-- between the red stripes is a "ladder" of white like the outside edges, but with blue-green horizontal stripes that often fade away. That "spruce green" dye wasn't meant for the ages.

Thanks for the info. Glad to see I'm a good guesser.

The last ribbon looks REAL clean though. I've seen the ladder style ribbons. This one has no staining or discoloration from dyes. Even the insice of the ribbon folds are bright white. Could this be something else?

Firemedals

Guest Rick Research

You can flip it over and show us the back. But it isn't a question of fading or wear or sunlight, but of the dye's color-fastness...

in the case of a lot of this particular color NOT lasting...

like the pale blue Hessian bravery ribbons that also "bleach" to white with red stripes.

These Hungarian spruce green stripes are going white from age, and will be "white" some day when the green just disappears, leaving "intact" ribbons:

[attachmentid=12185]

It might also be the 1920s Crown Prince Rupprecht Medal, but the position of the purple (not red) stripes is off from here-- though the mostly pale blue of THAT also goes white, too.