News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Great pick up Luke!

Martin: "Leube" wasn't a crewman...signatures **for** Leube. He was probably an admirer of the ship or crew and requested the signatures. You'll have occasion to see this practice every-so-often.

Joe

Thanks for the information Joe,that is good to know.as i have i never seen this practice before.

And i agree that with the Rogge's signatures,Luke has a "great pick up" here.

BTW Joe,was i correct in thinking that this was a 2nd edition,1944 with the beige cover and the crewlist ommited??

Many thanks,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

• Replies 65
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin: I was going to do some research on Leube but luckily Joe has so kindly helped us out with that. I just assumed that he was part of the crew.

Joe: Are those signatures from one of your books? Very nice! I'll get you pics of anything you want, no problem.

Thanks to both of you for all of your help.

Luke

I'm happy to be of help Luke,although Joe is definately more of an authority when it comes to the Atlantis,or any other Hilfskreuzer for that matter.

If you have not read his book yet i suggest you buy a copy.One of the best books written on the Atlantis.

Regards,Martin.

Martin,

What do you think my chances are of finding the Komet book?

Thanks!

Luke

Hard to say Luke ?

They are rarer than the Atlantis books i think.

I would keep checking in on e-bay and they show up on German Dealer sites from time to time but of course they demand a high price there.

Regards Martin.

And if i see one,i will let you know.

BTW,welcome to the "Hilfskreuzer Collectors Club" Luke.

You may have other interests but there are a few of us i know of that collect "only" HK related items.

Regards,Martin.

Martin...You are too kind! Thanks for the nice comments about the book.

Yes, Luke has a great example of a 1944 release of Mohr's cruise book. I think we would be more accurate to limited release version (with crewlist) and a wider released version (without crew list). I think there was only one printing (edition) of the 1944 book, but two versions--the first few hundred being bound with a crewlist included and the rest of the run either with them omitted or carefully removed. Mohr didn't come right out and say this, but I inferred it from him mentioning "a crew and family" version.

Luke: Yes, the signatures I posted were collected in one of the blue 1982 reprints of Mohr's book. They were collected during an annual crew reunion for someone interested in the ship.

The Komet books are a bear to find, and when you find them, they are expensive!

I forgot to add a photo of the last thing that Herr Mohr sent me before he passed away---A signed copy of **HIS** book! It is a treasure!

Joe

Indeed a treasure Joe.

One of those rare items that perhaps only "HK geeks" like us can really appreciate.

Regards,Martin,

And if i see one,i will let you know.

BTW,welcome to the "Hilfskreuzer Collectors Club" Luke.

You may have other interests but there are a few of us i know of that collect "only" HK related items.

Regards,Martin.

Thank you, Martin. I've learned a lot here already.

I do have other interests but the Kriegsmarine is my main one.

I have a few HK items that I'll post here sometime soon.

Luke

Joe: I think you might be right about there being only the one printing. In the back of my book it looks like two pages have very carefully been "cut" out. It's hardly noticeable!

Thanks for posting your signed Mohr book. Awesome!!

I'll get you pictures of those pages soon. I haven't forgot about them.

Luke

Joe: I think you might be right about there being only the one printing. In the back of my book it looks like two pages have very carefully been "cut" out. It's hardly noticeable!

Luke

Now that is an interesting observation Luke.

Does your book contain this page that shows the fallen crewmen from the Atlantis ?

I ask this because the crewlist in my books start on the other side of this page.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Thanks Luke,

i think this explains Joe's theory that there was probably just one printing of the original 1944 edition and they all contained the crewlist.

After the books were given to "crew and family" the pages were then "carefully" removed from the remaining books that were intended for general release to the public.

This seems to be that case with your book ?

Regards,Martin.