News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian Awards

Well now I have done it, I have fallen to the wiles of the like's of Darrell, Gordon, and a host of other's, and am starting to branch away from TR awards. My daughter telling me she was not crazy about the TR awards, also might have had something to do with it. She knows her history so it was not just a case of "Eeeew nazi stuff...."

I chose Belgium as that was were Mom was from, I have some pure Walloon blood flowing in my vein's, and I still have family there.

First is the "Industrial and Agricultual Decoration" later changed to the "Labour Decoration", Since it has the rosette on it, and still retains some gold on it, indicates that it is the Gold for 30 years of service

Edited by Laurence Strong

• 2 weeks later...

Well strangely enough Laurence this is my other collecting field Belgium medals !!! Believe it or not :lol:

I'm no expert on these at all, but I may be able to help on the odd one here and there. The Agriculture one is a an earlier one, perhaps 1930's give or take a decade (but more the period of 1930's for sure), the enamel and construction lead me to believe this (and it's like a dated and awarded example I own) as the latter ones, metal construction, rivet etc all different (significantly there's a difference to post and pre war Belgium medals most of the time)

Just a novice opinion and still learning on these (as with all militaria)

On the WAF you showed the other Civil decoration you have, I have again one of these boxed and try in vain to collect 'earlier' examples if I can, I believe your example is the 2nd Class and the silver version not the gold. My example shows this trait of a blackened silver colouring with gilt perpetuating through, I think it's a form of oxidation perhaps.

I love these Belgium medals, they're 'pretty' and my little girl at her age of 6 going on 16 has similar contention's already with TR militaria, they're the 'naughty people' and bad men and Daddies bad for spending to much money also.......the wifes influence there coming through :(

Kr

Marcus

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

The Medal of the National Comittee for Aid and Nourishment.

This was awarded to people who had helped distribute rations during WW I. It's a very common medal for the time. The award came in 4 classes and I think that this is the 2nd class "Gilt over Bronze" and also the 1st class would have a rossette on the ribbon

Guest Darrell

Well now I have done it, I have fallen to the wiles of the like's of Darrell, Gordon, and a host of other's, and am starting to branch away from TR awards. My daughter telling me she was not crazy about the TR awards, also might have had something to do with it. She knows her history so it was not just a case of "Eeeew nazi stuff...."

Well ... you know what the means .... a Cased KVK1st w/o Swords coming down the Highway :rolleyes:

Got this one from Kev in Deva

It's the "King Albert medal" Issued with 2 ribbons (either a single Belgian colours stripe or a double) these indicated what the award was for in this case the double stripe means - once again- people who distinguished themselves feeding the population.

Thanks for looking :cheers:

Guest Darrell

Hmm missed your response....NOT...thats part of the KvK display :Cat-Scratch: Was not aware you coveted that one :violent:

Another member is giving away his US collection because it's now worthless (to him), figured I'd try 2/2 :P