News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German troops in Finland 1918

Guest Rick Research

:cheers: Jani!

Oppenheimer was actually from Baden (Mannheim), Foot Artillery Regiment 14 was a Baden/Hohenzollern unit.

The telegram informs him that he has been commissioned as a Reserve 2nd Lieutenant of Cavalry with seniority of 22 March 1918.

I've never seen a document like the 1923 one sending him the campaign medal through his local Reichsheer office.

Second page of Soldbuch

(Unable to read ;)

His other award certificates I have:

Badens Milit?rischen Karl-Friedrich silver merit medal

Deutsche Feld-Ehrenzeichen

Hindenburg Cross

Hungarian Kriegerinnerungsmedaille

?sterrreichche Kriegerinnerungsmedaille

I need to scan the Ordens page from Soldbuch as well because it looks like there is something more...

and Soldbuch tells as Rick said he is from Baden and stamp is exactly that regiment :)

Jani

Edited by Jani Tiainen

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Weird!!!! He was a One Year Volunteer in BAVARIAN ChevLeg Rgt 6 1910-11 AND he got the Bavarian Luitpold Jubilee Medal 1911 version, which per the rules was generally NOT given to first-term, non-commisioned personnel as he then was! :speechless1:

If I saw his medal bar WITHOUT this paperwork I'd be thinking no no no.... :speechless1:

:cheeky:

:cheers:

• 9 months later...

The German expedition to Finland landed in Hanko, Finland, on April 3. 1918.

Commander: Generalmajor Graf R?diger von der Goltz is in the picture on your left. I have several pictures of German troops in Finland, taken by finnish photographers. I would like to get in touch with person who might have pictures of german troops in Finland, taken by their own photographer.

Edited by Petteri

• 8 years later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Hello!

Does anyone of you have any information about a Jäger Karl Wüllner who served in Finland during the liberty war?

I have medalgroup with documents and would like to find out more about him. According to one of the papers he served in
    "Radf. Komp. 54" and another documents say "Jäger d. 3. Garde. Kav. Brig."

Karl was Born in Oberbeck 17/2 1897. b

P1000511.JPG

• 1 month later...

I can only find out the he was attached to the Detachment Brandenstein

Com of the Detachment was Oberst von Brandenstein from 3rd Garde Kav Brig

part of the detch was the 3rd Radfahrer Batallion with the Com Hauptmann von Wilamowitz-Moellendorff

And your Karl Wüllner was in 54 Radfaher Kompanie which was part of the above Battl , Commander Leutnant Misgeld 

Christer 

1 hour ago, christerd said:

I can only find out the he was attached to the Detachment Brandenstein

Com of the Detachment was Oberst von Brandenstein from 3rd Garde Kav Brig

part of the detch was the 3rd Radfahrer Batallion with the Com Hauptmann von Wilamowitz-Moellendorff

And your Karl Wüllner was in 54 Radfaher Kompanie which was part of the above Battl , Commander Leutnant Misgeld 

Christer 

It was the 5th Radfahrer Batallion:

Radfahrer-Bataillon Nr. 5
    Kdr.: Hptm.d.R. Hugo v. Wilamowitz-Moellendorff
    Adj.: Kgl. bayer. Lt.d.R. Heinrich Weinstock

It was a combined unit, with Radfahrer elements from Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 14, Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 6 and Radfahr-Kompanie Nr. 54, along with the Bayerische Kraftwagen-Maschinengewehr-Kompanie.

Joseph Misgeld, * 9.12.1895 in Ringenberg, was commissioned a Leutnant in Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 14 on 10.5.1915.

Oberst von Brandenstein was Otto Hans Karl August Freiherr von Brandenstein, * 21.10.1865 in Hohenstein, † 8.5.1945 in Grambow bei Goldberg (von den Sowjeten erschossen).

Thank you for this information.

I did not know that the germans sent bicycle infantry to fight in Finland.

But on the other hand I have not researched so much about the germans in Finland. But it´s a nice medalgroup.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again !

For my photo collection i was looking for a guy with a finnish award. (no so easy to find)

After a longer look-around i had the luck to find the following guy:

On his bar:

-EK2, Hamburger Hanseatenkreuz, Bremer Hanseatenkreuz, KuK MVK3 with war decoration and on the last pos.

a finnish cross of liberty (???).

Now my questions:

Which grade do we have here?

Is it possible, to ID that guy (Hauptmann - captain) - on the back we have a date and his signature. ("Gutes tuen das ist mein Wille" - sounds like Johanniter)

Is he also a Johanniter knight?

Thanks.

zähringer2.tif

zähringer3.tif

Edited by ixhs

Hi , 

Very interesting pic ! 

There is indeed a Finnsh Liberty Cross 4th class on the ribbon bar , and if I see right the photo is taken in 1921

I looked through the ranklist of Deutches Reichheer 1924 and there is not many Hauptmann or Majors with the combo HH + BH  and wound Badge is silver 

I found maybe 4 or 5 candidates but none matched the rest of the awards.

That is a Reichsheer uniform right ?   

Search goes on 

Christer

• 2 months later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 2 years later...

Gentlemen, what a great read, wonderful information. I was happy to find out more about Major i. G. Werner Paul Hermann Crantz. Too bad not much is known of his life after 1920. I read somewhere, Hauptmann Cranz was in Stockholm for Ludendorff in Spring 1917. Together with Hauptmann Dr. jur. Dr. h. c. mult. Ernst von Hülsen he was involved with the first meetings with Finnish freedom fighters from the Soldatenkomitee (Rittmeister Hannes Ignatius, Militärattaché Mauritz Gripenberg, and Oberst Nikolai Mexmontan) and the Unabhängigkeitsbewegung (both from Finnland). Von Hülsen wrote about this, he (von Hülsen) also received the Liberty Cross 1st Class on 21 June 1918 and the Großkreuz des Ordens der weißen Rose von Finnland on 19 October 1938. He was at last Major (Reserve? Landwehr?). I would be thankful for any information about von Hülsen's military time beginning with his service as Einjährig-Freiwilliger 1898/1899. Thank you!

Edited by Deutschritter