News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia - medal bar with something not so common

Hello everbody, I thought that I might show you a photo of a photo of a serbian medal bar thats in the possession of an acquaintance of mine.

What makes it interesting is the fact that its got the first type gold and silver bravery medals that very given out during a very short period of time (november 1912 - july 1913). They were changed to the Milos Obilic medal for bravery because soldiers complained that a womens image should not be on a medal for bravery.

In case somebody doesn't know the medals are from left to right:

Gold Medal for Bravery 1912

Silver Medal for Bravery 1912

Medal for Loyalty to the Fatherland (retreat through Albania) 1915

Croix de Guerre avec Palme (French)

First Balkan War Medal 1912

Second Balkan War Medal 1913

First World War Medal 1914 - 1918

Enjoy :cheers:

Ivan

Very NICE!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

I assume that was worn by a senior NCO? (in the war-an officer later maybe?).

I don't see any officers' orders on the bar and whoever he was, he was in the army from @1911-1920.

I haven't seen that early bravery medal on a bar before.

What does the leaf on the ribbon mean?

It's a wonderful piece.

Do you know if the bravery medal rolls are still in the archives in Serbia?

Thanks for showing this to us. :cheers:

Please show us more.

Edited by Ulsterman

I don't think he ever became an officer, obviously he distinguished himself most in the first balkan war.

Stangely enough I have no idea what the significance of a palm is on serbian awards, we'll have to wait for someone more knowledgeable to answer that question :)

As for the bravery rolls they should exist, I've been meaning to go to the national archive and make an enquiry about that and a few other things but I never get around to it, even though its a five minute walk from where I live....

I have a few other photos of serbian medal bars I'll try to post them at a later time.

all the best

Ivan

Edited by Piramida

Fantastic! These lst type bravery medals are true rarities--apparently, they could be exchanged for Milos medals. Even more unusual to find one on a bar. Serbian references describe the bravery medal palm. I disremember if it indicates a second award, mention in dispatches, or army citation level on the French model. Will see if I can run this information down.

Stangely enough I have no idea what the significance of a palm is on serbian awards, we'll have to wait for someone more knowledgeable to answer that question

Oak branch upon a ribbon denoted a repeated award of the same decoration.

Dragomir

5 minutes walk!! That's 15 minutes total there and back (with 5 minutes to answer the question).

You gotta go! :Cat-Scratch:

Well its not so much that I'm a lazy person but the archives are quite intimidating, theres a big yard with dogs that always seem to be extremely bloodthirsty so I can never get up the courage to ring the bell...

Oak branch upon a ribbon denoted a repeated award of the same decoration.

Dragomir

Thank you Dragomir for this piece of information

I am surprised to see that they did not use the typical rainbow pattern on the WW1 Service/victory medal.

From The Inter-Allied Victory Medal of World War 1 by the late Mr. Alexander J. Laslo.

Although Serbia was represented on the Inter-Allied Commission and agreed to its resolutions, Serbian participation in the

creation of a Victory Medal was eventually overcome by complex political factors associated with the unification of the

Southern Slavs following the war.

On December 1 1918, the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovens was proclaimed with the reigning dynasty of Serbia on the Throne. Also joining the kingdom was Montenegro.

While Serbia and Montenegro were independent kingdom's prior to the war and had

struggled valiantly against the Austrians and then the Germans, the majority of Croats and Slovenes had been part of and

sympathetic to Austro-Hungaria. With this in mind, the government decided to act prudently and not alienate those Croats

and Slovenes who had fought with or still supported the defunct Empire by issuing a medal, which would only recognize their

recent adversaries, namely the Serbians and the Montenegrins.

However, on December 1 1920, Prince Alexander did establish a Commemorative War Medal for those including

Montenegrins, who had fought with the old kingdom of Serbia.

The issuance of this medal undoubtedly mitigated the decision against a Victory Medal. In lieu of a Victory Medal, the

government briefly considered creating a Commemorative War Cross to be awarded to all citizens

of the new Kingdom who participated in the war.

Kevin in Deva. :beer: