News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

MOH for sale

Pete A

You guys might be interested to know that there is a medal of Honor for sale at the Swedish Probus auctionhouse

Too bad that they seem to have switched high-quality color photos to a crappy black and white pdf-catalogue. but there it is anyway:

324 MEDAL OF HONOR, USA

Type 1 (1862-1904) Bronze, with Photo, eagles left wing

with old repair

Proviniens: Fredrik Bergendahl, born in Sweden 1802, dead

1886 V?rg?rda, Sweden.

Private Band 4th United States Cavalry, At Staked Plains

Tex 8 December 1874. Date of issue: 13 October 1875

"Gallantry in a long chase after Indians"

15000 (1575euro)

Pete

Very nice MOH! Swedish recipients Of the MOH are easily counted. If only I had that kind of cash...

Estimated price has always been very low at Probus auction house. Other orders on the list have very low estimate too. But in the end, when the hammer drops, the price is very much market price. It's a way to draw people to the auction...

As for the catalouge. I hope that this is, as they say on their site, only a preview. The older online auction catalouges have very nice pictures in them.

/Kim

Guest Darrell

Theres a few for sale on the Liverpool Medal companys website, about ?595 each, if I remember correctly?

Got a link to this site?

Is it appropriate to post commercial links? Management may remove this is the answer is "no":

http://www.liverpoolmedals.com/

Ther are all escaped from one of the manufacturers, none were ever awarded, so they're of dubious standing in a collection. They are also viewed by the ever-vigilant FBI as being stolen goods, in addition to being Medals of Honor, so I guess they're doubly illegal.

Guest Darrell

Is it appropriate to post commercial links? Management may remove this is the answer is "no":

http://www.liverpoolmedals.com/

Ther are all escaped from one of the manufacturers, none were ever awarded, so they're of dubious standing in a collection. They are also viewed by the ever-vigilant FBI as being stolen goods, in addition to being Medals of Honor, so I guess they're doubly illegal.

AS far as I know ... the "illegal" thing applies only to the US ... correct?

Guest Darrell

What's that knock at the door . . . ???

Won't be Terrorists ... why would they stay in a place that the FBI would search for MOH's :rolleyes:

To the best of my knowledge, it is currently illegal to sell a Medal of Honor in the US, but it is not illegal to buy or possess one in the US. There is a proposed admendment to that law in Congress now, that, if passed, would make it illegal to buy or own a Medal of Honor. Gunner 1

The "Swedish" MoH has sold for 44000sek :o , about 5430usd. Add to this the auction house commission.

Well.... at least I got to see it...

/Kim

Wow. Looks like there was some serious bidding going on. But still, the final price price seems quite low to me. After all, we are talking about America's highest bravery decoration. But then again, maybe the prices would be higher if the markets were completely open for the American buyers too? (or are they? this seems to be bit controversial?) The one thing I've alway liked about the British Victoria Crosses is that their sale prices are always quite well in balance with the status and prestige of the award. Or is it because that one guy, what's his name, buys them all? :lol:

Any information on how much other MOHs have sold?

Pete

You need a "Patriot factor" to push the price. EUR5000 is chump change for a nations highest award.

Imagine Donald Trump and Steven Spielberg and Clint Eastwood were super patriots, wanted to collect their nations highest award and had seen this?... Would not have helped them because it would be illegal.... but if it was not?

No foreigner would pay what British Patriots are paying for VCs. They may find it intresting, but they would not pay the prices that Lord Fauntleroy is paying..... to get those prices you need to go out of the regular collecting circle... and as long as it is banned....

I'd agree with Chris about the "patriot factor", but the legal issues here make it so nobody with any public visibility wants to deal with the problem.

Bill Gates could afford to take up the fight (and buy as many Congressmen as he wanted), but he's not likely to if he gets nothing but bad press for the effort. You'd see headlines like "Geek Buys Real Hero's Medal/Probably compensating for personal inadequacies".

If the legal barriers went away, the price of Medals of Honor would rise substantially. There are folks interested. THey have deep pockets, but are not willing to take the public flogging that would come with it.

Jeff Floyd

Maybe the answer to the "Ban" is the following......

We have to "create" a MOH destroyer who has a webpage... he could live in ..say Vladivostok and is an oil billionaire.... his hobby is buying and destroying MOHs... create a web page with fuzzy photos of him apparently destroying MOHs under the treads of his restored T34...

THEN... publish these photos all over the web with a story saying "Why can anyone (Osama, Castro or the keyboard player of "Ace of base") legally buy and DESTROY these... and a patriotic, dues paying member of the OMSA who would love, treasure and respect the piece would end up in Jonkers with "50Cents" posse holding him down if he even tried to outbid the Russian T34 owner bent on destroying the medals".

The outcry would be so big... they would be begging youse to collect and save them !!!!

Just a though... dont say it to loud !!

Good points. And after all, it's not about the monetary value, but the historical, and the fact that someone is willing to take good care of it.

Chris: Drastic actions, eh? A Russian destroying US MOHs? Wouldn't that ignite the cold war all over again? :P And what on earth have you against the keyboard player of Ace of base? :lol:

Pete

• 2 weeks later...